Did the Prophet (pbuh) accept the sadaqahs and gifts brought to him?
Submitted by on Sat, 06/04/2019 - 13:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
The Supreme Messenger would ask: “Is it alms or gift?” when he was given something.
If they answered “it is alms”, he would give it to ashab as-suffa right away. If they answered “it is a gift”, he would accept it and give some of it to ashab as-suffa. The Prophet would never accept alms, but only gifts.
One day, a man brought a plate of dates. He asked the man:
“Is it alms or gift?
The man said it was alms and therefore the Prophet sent it to the ashab as-suffa right away. The Prophet’s grandson Hazrat Hassan was in front of the Prophet at that time. When he took a date from the plate and put it in his mouth, the Prophet reacted right away and took it out from his mouth. And then he said:
“We, Muhammad and his household, do not eat alms; alms is forbidden to us!”1
Moreover, it is said that the Quranic verse was sent with reference to the Ashab as-Suffa.2
“(Charity is) for those in need, who, in God's cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land, seeking (for trade or work): the ignorant man thinks, because of their modesty, that they are free from want. Thou shall know them by their (unfailing) mark: They beg not importunately from the entire sundry. And whatever of good ye give, be assured God knoweth it well”3
1. Muslim, 3/117
2. M. Hamdi Yazır, ibid, V. 2, p. 940.
3. Al-Baqara, 273.
Questions on Islam
- When was the first decree of retaliation given?
- Is it true that the Prophet was transferred into His mother’s womb on the night of Raghaib?
- Will you give information about Mariya, the Prophet’s wife?
- How did the Prophet receive revelation? What was the state of the Prophet like in the face of the heaviness of revelation?
- How did the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) believe that he became a prophet?
- Will you please give information about the miracle of Isra (Night Journey) and Miraj (Ascension)?
- "The Companions did not start to learn new verses before they memorized ten verses and practiced them." Will you give information about the statement above? Will you explain the place of the Quran in the life of the Companions?
- Will you answer the claims related to the Quran, the Gospel and Islamic contradictions?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- Were there any handicapped companions during the time when the Prophet (PBUH) lived? How did the Prophet (pbuh) treat them?