Could you give some explanation about 71th ayah of Surah Hud? Was Prophet Ismail not the first son of Prophet Ibrahim?
Submitted by on Thu, 30/04/2015 - 16:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
Yes, Prophet Ismail was the first son of Prophet Ibrahim; Prophet Isaac was the second son.
The meaning of the 71th and 72nd ayahs of Surah Hud:
71. And his wife was standing by and she too was frightened, whereupon to assure her we gave her glad tidings of birth of Isaac, and, after Isaac, of Jacob.
72. She said, `Oh, woe is me ! Shall I bear a child when I am an extremely old women and this my husband also is a very old man ? This is indeed a strange thing !’
When Prophet Ismail, the son of Prophet Ibrahim and Hagar, was born, Sara wished to have a son too. However, she lost hope as she was too old. At that time, she was given the good news of a son who would be a prophet and also be the father of a prophet. This was also the good news for the fact that she would see both her son and her grandson. (see Imam Qurtubi, al-Jamiu li-Ahkami’l-Qur’an, Buruj Publications: 9/107)
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about Hz. Ishaq (Isaac)?
- Prophet Ishaq [Isaac] (Peace be upon him)
- The Clean Ancestors of the Messenger of God
- Prophet Ismail [Ishmael] (Peace be upon him)
- Will you give information about the life of Hz. Ismail (Ishmael) (pbuh)?
- Will you give information about the pedigrees of prophets and their order of coming?
- Was there daily prayer worship (salah) in other religions, too? Did other prophets and their ummahs (community) perform salah?
- Why does the Kaaba exist only in Islam though it is the house of Allah, a place that has come from the Prophet Adam to this day and is a place of holiness?
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- Some people say Hz. Ibrahim's son that he wanted to sacrifice was Hz. Ishaq. How true is it?