Can a woman choose a different man as her spouse in the hereafter? Or does she have to marry her husband in the world? I would be glad if you answered this question based on resources.
Submitted by on Mon, 09/11/2015 - 18:10
Dear Brother / Sister,
- This issue is not mentioned in sound hadith resources like kutub as-sitta.
However, it is necessary to give the following short information regarding the issue:
a) What is essential is the continuation of the relationship of the wife and the husband in Paradise.
There are some scholars who say that what is meant by companions (houris) in the following verse are the women in the world: “Moreover, We shall join them to Companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.” (ad-Dukhan, 44/54)(see Alusi, the interpretation of the verse)
b) The men who did not marry in the world will definitely marry houris but they can also marry the women who did not marry in the world. The women who did not marry in the world will be able to marry anybody they wish.
c)A woman who married two or more men in the world will marry her first husband if her first husband died, not if she was divorced; according to another view, she will marry her last husband. However, she can marry the one she liked the most. (cf Alusi; ad-Dukhan, interpretation of verse 44/54)
d)“There will be there all that the souls could desire all that the eyes could delight in: and ye shall abide therein.” (az-Zukhruf, 43/71) According to this verse, everybody will be given what they want in Paradise.
Then, if one of the spouses who were married in the world does not want the other but his or her spouse wants him or her ( if something like that happens), the one who wants will be given someone similar and the other will be free to marry anyone he/she wishes.
e) The women of the world will be more beautiful than houris. (Tabarani, Awsat, h. no: 3141; Majmau’z-Zawaid, h. no: 11396).
f)If a woman who married two or more times in the world goes to Paradise with all of her husbands, she will marry the one with the best ethics or the one she liked the most. (see Tabarani, Awsat, h. no:3141; Majmau’z-Zawaid, h. no: 11396)
- It is necessary to keep in mind that no sorrow will exist in Paradise.No matter whom one marries, there will be nobody more beautiful/handsome and beloved than one's spouse for him/her. The sorrows and longings in the world will not exist in Paradise.
In other words, the longings from the world will be eliminated by reunions and nothing will be left from them when we enter Paradise. Therefore, it is necessary to compete to have belief and taqwa, that is, obeying the orders and prohibitions of Allah, which are the prerequisites of entering Paradise.
Questions on Islam
- Can the spouses continue their lives in the world similarly in the hereafter?
- How will marriage be in Paradise?
- In the Paradise houris (houri: A nymph in the form of a beautiful virgin supposed to dwell in Paradise for the enjoyment of the faithful) will be given to men. What about the marital status of women in the Hereafter?
- A woman is married for four (things); her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. Choose (marry) the religious woman so that your home will be in abundance. (Bukhari) Could you please explain this hadith?
- wife in paradise
- Does Sexual Life exist in Paradise?
- Who has the right of divorce?
- The Prophet’s marriage to Hazrat Umm Salama
- Umm Salama (r.anha)
- The most virtuous four women are mentioned; who are the most virtuous women?