Is Azar, Hz. Ibrahim's father? Was Hz. Ibrahim's father a Muslim?
Submitted by on Mon, 29/05/2017 - 13:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
The meaning of the relevant verses is as follows:
“Who seeth thee standing forth (in prayer), And thy movements among those who prostrate themselves. For it is He Who heareth and knoweth all things.” (ash-Shuara, 26/218-220)
- According to some scholars, the meaning of "wa taqallubaka fissajidin" is Hz. Prophet's movements between the parts of the prayer qiyam (standing) - ruku' (bowing down) - sajdah (prostration). According to some others, it indicates that he sees the congregation behind him when he performs prayers. (see Tabari, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- According to some other scholars, its meaning is as follows: When the Prophet (pbuh) got up for tahajjud prayer at night, he walked around to see whether some Companions performed tahajjud prayer or not or how they performed it. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- As for the main issue in the question, there is information that all of the fathers (ancestors) of the Prophet (pbuh) were believers, that his light travelled among those who prostrated and that it was turned to him. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse). However, Razi mentions this interpretation as the view of Rafizis and states that it is not true.
- It is certain that AZAR is not a believer. However, there are different views whether he is Hz. Ibrahim’s father or uncle.
Those who hold the view that all of the ancestors of the Prophet are believers state that the word “AB = Father” was used for AZAR in the Quran and that the word “AB” can also be used in the sense of paternal uncle.
According to some other scholars, AZAR is Hz. İbrahim's father as it is stated in the Quran. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
In his book, Kitabud-Darj-il-Munifa, Imam Suyuti provides information to prove that Azar is Hazrat Ibrahim’s paternal uncle.
Questions on Islam
- Did Qarun believe in Allah? Did he cross the Red Sea? Is it true that he is Hz. Musa’s cousin (maternal uncle's son)? When and where was he destroyed?
- Is Azar the father of Hazrat Ibrahim (pbuh)?
- Is there a narration about Quds being the gathering place (mahshar)?
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- Was the prayer Hz Musa (Moses) made so that the impediment from his speech would be removed accepted? If yes, why did Pharaoh mock him?
- When Hz. Yusuf (Joseph) became an administrator in Egypt, had he started the duty of prophethood? Did he decree based on the laws of Allah when he was the prime minister in Egypt?
- Is the repentance of a sorcerer not accepted?
- In the verse which Allah addressed Jews as, “He gave you what He had not given to any other among the peoples” (al-Maida 20), what are the things that Allah did not give to any people and why did he give them to Jews?
- When Hz. Ibrahim was given a piece of good news about becoming a parent, which region and nation was he in? Where was Hz Lut and he was the leader of which nation at that time?
- Did the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) understand the whole Quran?