Is Azar, Hz. Ibrahim's father? Was Hz. Ibrahim's father a Muslim?
Submitted by on Mon, 29/05/2017 - 13:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
The meaning of the relevant verses is as follows:
“Who seeth thee standing forth (in prayer), And thy movements among those who prostrate themselves. For it is He Who heareth and knoweth all things.” (ash-Shuara, 26/218-220)
- According to some scholars, the meaning of "wa taqallubaka fissajidin" is Hz. Prophet's movements between the parts of the prayer qiyam (standing) - ruku' (bowing down) - sajdah (prostration). According to some others, it indicates that he sees the congregation behind him when he performs prayers. (see Tabari, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- According to some other scholars, its meaning is as follows: When the Prophet (pbuh) got up for tahajjud prayer at night, he walked around to see whether some Companions performed tahajjud prayer or not or how they performed it. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- As for the main issue in the question, there is information that all of the fathers (ancestors) of the Prophet (pbuh) were believers, that his light travelled among those who prostrated and that it was turned to him. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse). However, Razi mentions this interpretation as the view of Rafizis and states that it is not true.
- It is certain that AZAR is not a believer. However, there are different views whether he is Hz. Ibrahim’s father or uncle.
Those who hold the view that all of the ancestors of the Prophet are believers state that the word “AB = Father” was used for AZAR in the Quran and that the word “AB” can also be used in the sense of paternal uncle.
According to some other scholars, AZAR is Hz. İbrahim's father as it is stated in the Quran. (see Razi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
In his book, Kitabud-Darj-il-Munifa, Imam Suyuti provides information to prove that Azar is Hazrat Ibrahim’s paternal uncle.
Questions on Islam
- Is Azar the father of Hazrat Ibrahim (pbuh)?
- Did Qarun believe in Allah? Did he cross the Red Sea? Is it true that he is Hz. Musa’s cousin (maternal uncle's son)? When and where was he destroyed?
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- Is there a narration about Quds being the gathering place (mahshar)?
- When Hz. Yusuf (Joseph) became an administrator in Egypt, had he started the duty of prophethood? Did he decree based on the laws of Allah when he was the prime minister in Egypt?
- When Hz. Ibrahim was given a piece of good news about becoming a parent, which region and nation was he in? Where was Hz Lut and he was the leader of which nation at that time?
- Why is the name of Abraham's father different in the Qur'an and the Torah?
- Hazarat Ibrahim aly salam
- Is it true that the destruction of Qarun took place due to the request of Hz. Musa?
- When a person asked the Prophet (pbuh), "Where is my father?", he said to the man, "Both my father and your father are in hellfire." Will the Prophet's father go to Hell?