Are there any supplications (duas) to read when one becomes ill?
Are the following supplications that I read sound?
- Bismillahi arqika min kulli shayin yuzika wallahi yashfika
- Allahum maghfirli wa afini warzuqni bismillahi audhu bi izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu min wajai hadha.
Submitted by on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 10:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
The supplications mentioned in the question are among the supplications of the Prophet (pbuh) and they are mentioned as sound in hadith resources.
- Abu Sa’idil-Khudri narrates:
“Jibril (Gabriel) went to the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and asked, 'O Muhammad! Are you ill?' When he said, 'Yes', Jibril read the following supplication:
'Bismillahi arqika, min kulli dain yu’dhika wa min sharri kulli nafsin aw aynin hasidin. Allahu yashfika, bismillahi arqika.'
'In the Name of Allah, I read a prayer over you against all evils that cause you pain, the evil of every person and evil eye. May Allah cure you, in the Name of Allah I recite a prayer over you.'" (Muslim, Salam 40; Tirmidhi, Janaiz 4)
- Uthman Ibn Abil-As narrates:
"I told the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) that I had had a pain that I suffered since the day I became a Muslim.
He said, 'Put your hand on the place that gives you pain and read this supplication:' Say, 'Bismillah' three times and 'Audhu bi-izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu wa uhaziru / I seek refuge in Allah's might, and power from the evil of what I suffer' seven times.
I did it several times. Allah removed that illness from me. I never ceased telling my family and others to do it." (Muslim, Salam 67; Muwatta, Ayn 9; Abu Dawud, Tibb 19; Tirmidhi, Tibb 29)
“'Put your hand on the place that gives you pain and read this supplication three times: 'Bismillahi audhu bi-izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu min wajai hadha. // In the Name of Allah, I seek refuge in Allah's majesty and power from the evil of this pain I feel.” (Faydul-Qadir, Hadith no: 448)
Questions on Islam
- Will you advice me a prayer (dua) against fear? What prayers should be said against fear?
- One Supplication Every Week- 35th Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 43rd Week
- What prayer should a person say when he fears, is terrified and uneasy?
- One Supplication Every Week- 18th Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 51st Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 28th Week
- Is the statement ‘Praise be to Allah in all circumstances’ a hadith?
- One Supplication Every Week- 32nd Week