Are there any supplications (duas) to read when one becomes ill?
Are the following supplications that I read sound?
- Bismillahi arqika min kulli shayin yuzika wallahi yashfika
- Allahum maghfirli wa afini warzuqni bismillahi audhu bi izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu min wajai hadha.
Submitted by on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 09:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
The supplications mentioned in the question are among the supplications of the Prophet (pbuh) and they are mentioned as sound in hadith resources.
- Abu Sa’idil-Khudri narrates:
“Jibril (Gabriel) went to the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and asked, 'O Muhammad! Are you ill?' When he said, 'Yes', Jibril read the following supplication:
'Bismillahi arqika, min kulli dain yu’dhika wa min sharri kulli nafsin aw aynin hasidin. Allahu yashfika, bismillahi arqika.'
'In the Name of Allah, I read a prayer over you against all evils that cause you pain, the evil of every person and evil eye. May Allah cure you, in the Name of Allah I recite a prayer over you.'" (Muslim, Salam 40; Tirmidhi, Janaiz 4)
- Uthman Ibn Abil-As narrates:
"I told the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) that I had had a pain that I suffered since the day I became a Muslim.
He said, 'Put your hand on the place that gives you pain and read this supplication:' Say, 'Bismillah' three times and 'Audhu bi-izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu wa uhaziru / I seek refuge in Allah's might, and power from the evil of what I suffer' seven times.
I did it several times. Allah removed that illness from me. I never ceased telling my family and others to do it." (Muslim, Salam 67; Muwatta, Ayn 9; Abu Dawud, Tibb 19; Tirmidhi, Tibb 29)
“'Put your hand on the place that gives you pain and read this supplication three times: 'Bismillahi audhu bi-izzatillahi wa qudratihi min sharri ma ajidu min wajai hadha. // In the Name of Allah, I seek refuge in Allah's majesty and power from the evil of this pain I feel.” (Faydul-Qadir, Hadith no: 448)
Questions on Islam
- One Supplication Every Week- 18th Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 32nd Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 43rd Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 35th Week
- We take refuge in Allah from the evil of the dead and the living (death and life) when we pray Allah. What is the meaning of “the evil of dead” here? Can the dead harm us?
- One Supplication Every Week- 50th Week
- THE SURAH RECITED IN THE PRAYER
- One Supplication Every Week- 52nd Week
- What are the prayers that should be read before going to bed and after waking up?