"Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men..." (al-Hajj 22/75) Will you explain this verse? Are there angels among prophets?
Submitted by on Wed, 19/09/2018 - 11:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
"Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men for Allah is He Who hears and sees (all things)." (al-Hajj 22/75)
It is stated that Allah chose messengers from angels to fulfill the duties of delivering revelation to prophets, etc. and messengers from men to convey His orders and prohibitions to His slaves.
Some polytheists said, "Was the Quran sent down to Muhammad among us?" Allah answered them with the verse above and similar ones stating that He was free to choose whomever He wished as prophets. (Tabari, the interpretation of the verse in question)
Angels are not prophets in the sense that we know. However, every one of them is the leader of a group in charge of doing various things. Besides, the lexical meaning of the word "malak / malaika (angel)" in Arabic is "prophethood / messengership". Alikat/alukat means prophethood, letter. (see Razi, II/159)
"Praise be to Allah, Who created (out of nothing) the heavens and the earth, Who made the angels, messengers with wings,- two, or three, or four (pairs): He adds to Creation as He pleases: for Allah has power over all things." (Fatir, 35/1)
The title "messengers" used for the angels in the verse above is a word that associates those lexical meanings.
Scholars say there are two reasons why angels are called "messengers".
The first one is that they are Allah’s messengers sent to people. They deliver revelation to prophets, give inspiration to righteous people and show true dreams to people in general.
The second one is that they are in charge of showing Allah's works of power to His creatures. They send down rain, drive the clouds and make winds move. (see Alusi, the interpretation of the first verse of the chapter of Fatir)
Questions on Islam
- How should we understand woman being created from man's rib?
- Can you inform us about the attributes of jinns?
- What does the hadith "Satan flows in the blood vessels of man with blood" mean?
- What is meant by the hadith stating that the women who want to divorce are munafiqs and that they cannot smell the odor of Paradise?
- Science states that friendship with a person from the opposite gender psychologically affects him/her positively. Why does the religion of Islam prohibit friendship with a person from the opposite gender?
- Foster Relationship
- Muhammad (peace be on him)
- What are the women's rights? What are the duties of wives and husbands against each other?
- How can we understand that Hazrat Hawwa (Eve) was created from Hazrat Adam?
- Can you give information about the mahram state of a woman near her husband's brother and the things to be paid attention regarding the issue?