"Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men..." (al-Hajj 22/75) Will you explain this verse? Are there angels among prophets?
Submitted by on Wed, 19/09/2018 - 11:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
"Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men for Allah is He Who hears and sees (all things)." (al-Hajj 22/75)
It is stated that Allah chose messengers from angels to fulfill the duties of delivering revelation to prophets, etc. and messengers from men to convey His orders and prohibitions to His slaves.
Some polytheists said, "Was the Quran sent down to Muhammad among us?" Allah answered them with the verse above and similar ones stating that He was free to choose whomever He wished as prophets. (Tabari, the interpretation of the verse in question)
Angels are not prophets in the sense that we know. However, every one of them is the leader of a group in charge of doing various things. Besides, the lexical meaning of the word "malak / malaika (angel)" in Arabic is "prophethood / messengership". Alikat/alukat means prophethood, letter. (see Razi, II/159)
"Praise be to Allah, Who created (out of nothing) the heavens and the earth, Who made the angels, messengers with wings,- two, or three, or four (pairs): He adds to Creation as He pleases: for Allah has power over all things." (Fatir, 35/1)
The title "messengers" used for the angels in the verse above is a word that associates those lexical meanings.
Scholars say there are two reasons why angels are called "messengers".
The first one is that they are Allah’s messengers sent to people. They deliver revelation to prophets, give inspiration to righteous people and show true dreams to people in general.
The second one is that they are in charge of showing Allah's works of power to His creatures. They send down rain, drive the clouds and make winds move. (see Alusi, the interpretation of the first verse of the chapter of Fatir)
Questions on Islam
- Are angels Allah's daughters?
- What are the verses about Angels, Jinn, and Devils?
- Attributes necessary to be present in Prophets
- Do concepts Jihad and War mean the same? If not, what are their differences?
- What is the penalty for oppressing with the tongue?
- Is Islam a view or a life style?
- What will happen to the living people on the Doomsday?
- What is Christianity? Will you give information about the Christianity mentioned in the Quran?
- How does Jibril, the angel of revelation, come at once if it takes a long time to ascend to Allah?
- Why does Allah (SWT) love His slaves?