How many kinds of investigative belief are there?
Degrees of investigative belief
How many kinds of investigativebelief are there?
Investigative belief is divided into three: They are certainty at the degree of knowledge, certainty at the degree of witnessing and absolute certainty.
We can understand these degrees through the following example: If they light a fire at the other side of the mountain and if you see the smoke, you will say, “That smoke indicates the existence of a fire and proves it. If there were not a fire, there would not be smoke. Since there is smoke, there is definitely a fire sending that smoke on the other side of the mountain. That I do not see the fire does not prove the non-existence of the fire. On the contrary, the existence of the smoke proves the existence of the fire.” To know the existence of the fire through knowledge is to reach the fire through the smoke. This kind of knowing is called certainty at the degree of knowledge.
If you climb to the top of the mountain and see the fire through your eyes, this knowing is called certainty at the degree of witnessing. It means knowing something by seeing it.
If you climb down and go to the fire and feel its heat, this knowing is called absolute certainty. You are close to the fire now and the attributes of fire have surrounded you.
Investigative belief has three degrees as in the example. A person who has certainty at the degree of knowledge knows Allah Almighty through evidences. Every created thing is like smoke for him; each of them leads him to the existence o Allah just like the smoke leading to the existence of the fire. There are hundreds of degrees in the certainty at the degree of knowledge. The degree increases based on the power of reading the evidences.
A person who has reached the degree of certainty at the degree of witnessing reads this realm like a book. He discovers one thousand and one divine names. He sees tens of divine names in a very simple thing, like grass or a fly. That is, he watches a flower like a film.
At the degree of absolute certainty, the veil of the unknown (ghayb) is removed. A person at this level knows the truths of belief by seeing them not through evidences. The people who are known as those whose eyes of the hearts are open are the people who have reached the degree of absolute certainty.
Along with these degrees, there is another degree which is attaining the strength of absolute certainty at the degree of knowledge; according to the statement of Badiuzzaman Said Nursi, the Risale-i Nur Collection makes a person attain it. For, the strength of evidence proves the relevant truth of belief at a degree that does not necessitate a person to see through his eyes. If we act upon the example above, the smoke he sees on the mountain is not a small smoke; it is a big smoke surrounding the mountain and that person. It is such a smoke that even if the whole world came together, they could not deny the fire. As Nursi puts it, the Risale-i Nur Collection shows tens of seals peculiar to Allah Almighty on each creature and opens tens of windows to the knowledge of Allah. It makes one feel a power at the degree of absolute certainty. It leads some of its students to the degree of certainty at the degree of witnessing and makes them read the realm like a book. It is more enjoyable for them to watch a flower than a film.
In conclusion, we can summarize the issue in items as follows:
1. Belief is divided into two as imitative belief and investigative belief.
2. Imitative belief is a kind of belief in which the divine seals and signs on the creatures cannot be read and the indication and witnessing of the beings related to the truths of belief cannot be understood.
3. Investigative belief is a kind of belief in which the names that are manifest on each being are read, the witnessing expressed by them in their tongue of disposition is heard and each truth of belief is known with their evidences.
4. Investigative belief is divided into three as certainty at the degree of knowledge, certainty at the degree of witnessing and absolute certainty; each part has hundreds of degrees in them.
O Lord! Save our belief from imitation and make it investigative belief. Take us from degree of knowledge to the degree of witnessing so that we will be able to read one thousand and one divine names written on this realm, which is like your book. Take us from the degree of witnessing to the degree of absolute certainty. Amin!
- Is an increase and development in belief in question?
- Is an increase and development in Belief in question?
- How does imitative belief turn to investigative belief?
- How can we Strengthen our Belief? Will you give information about the Increase and Decrease of Belief, Tahqiq (Investigative) and Taqlid (Imitative) Belief and the Importance of Belief?
- How can we strengthen our faith? Could you give information about the increase and decrease of faith, investigative faith and imitative faith and the importance of faith?
- Is there increase and decrease in belief?
- What is oneness of presence?
- Belief in the Hereafter: Introduction