First Step: The existence of Angels and the purpose of their creation.
FIRST STEP: Truth and wisdom require that the heavens have inhabitants appropriate to them as the earth has. According to the Shari’a, those various beings are called angels and spirit beings. Reality requires it to be thus, for despite its small size and insignificance, the earth being filled with living and conscious beings, then emptied from time to time and once again repopulated suggests, indeed makes it clear, that the heavens too, in which are magnificent constellations and are like adorned palaces, should be filled with conscious and percipient creatures. Like men and jinn, those creatures are spectators of the palace of the universe, the observers of the book of creation, and the heralds of the sovereignty of dominicality. For the universe is arrayed and embellished with innumerable adornments, decorations, and ornaments, and self-evidently requires the thoughtful gazes of those who will appreciate it and wonder at it. Certainly, beauty requires a lover and sustenance is given to the hungry. However, man and jinn are able to perform only a millionth of this endless duty, this grand viewing, this extensive worship. That is to say, endless sorts of angels and spirit beings are necessary to perform these endless duties and diverse worship.
As is indicated by certain narrations and the wisdom in the order of the universe, some kinds of travelling bodies, from planets to drops of water, are the mounts of one kind of angel. It may be said that they mount them with Allah’s permission and tour and gaze upon the manifest world. It also may be said that one type of animal bodies, from the birds of Paradise called ‘The Green Birds’ (1) in a Hadith, to flies, are the aircraft for a sort of spirit being. They enter them at Allah’s command, travel around the physical universe, observing the miracles of creation through the windows of the senses of the animals’ bodies.
The Creator, Who continuously creates subtle life and luminous percipient beings from dense earth and turbid water, surely also creates conscious beings suitable for spirit and life, from those seas of light and even from the oceans of darkness. And He creates them in great abundance. The existence of angels and spirit beings has been proved with the certainty of two plus two equals four in my treatise entitled Nokta (Point), and in the Twenty-Ninth Word. If you wish, you may refer to them.
(1) Muslim, Imara, 121; Tirmidhi, Tafsir Sura iii:19; Ibn Maja, Jana’iz, 4; Jihad, 16; Darimi, Jihad, 18; Musnad, vi, 386
Please click on the following link to continue reading;
- Second Step: Those who descend to the earth from the skies and ascend to the heavens.
- Do angels have minds?
- The Fifteenth Word: The living beings, angels, the Jinn and devils in space.
- Third Step: The importance of man and the reason why the earth gains value as much as the heavens.
- Introduction: An overview about the duties of servitude of angels and spiritual beings and their kinds.
- Fifth Step: The stoning of evils by angels.
- How is man defined according to the Western philosophy and Islam?
- The Thirty-Third Word: It explains that there is a window opening to Almighty Allah in everything with thirty-three examples.
- Second Principle: The reality of the Ascension.
- What is Life?