First Source: The independence of the spirit from the body.
• FIRST SOURCE: This is subjective. That is to say, if anyone studies his own life and self, he perceives an immortal spirit. Indeed, in the course of occupying its body for a number of years the spirit causes the body to change considerably, yet the spirit self-evidently remains constant. In which case, although the body is ephemeral, it does not affect the spirit’s permanence, nor spoil its nature, even though the spirit is completely naked at death. However, in the course of life, the spirit gradually changes its body-clothes, and at the time of death, it is suddenly undressed. It has been established through certain conjecture, indeed, through observation, that the body subsists though the spirit; in which case, the spirit does not subsist through the body. Rather, since the spirit subsists and is dominant of itself, the body may be dispersed and gathered together again as it wishes; it will not infringe the spirit’s independence.
In fact, the body is the spirit’s house, it is its home; it is not its clothes. What clothes the spirit is a subtle, fine sheath, something which may be likened to a body, which is to some extent constant, and is ethereal and appropriate for the spirit. At the time of death, then, the spirit is not completely naked, it leaves its home dressed in its body-like sheath.
Please click on the following link to continue reading;
- Question 3: Do cloned beings not have spirits?
- What does matter and spirit’s being essential, and matter’s being like a tulle curtain over it mean? Will you explain matter’s being a curtain over the spirit with an example?
- First Fundamental Point: About the immortality of man’s spirit.
- How do materialists see body and spirit?
- Second Source: The proofs regarding the existence and immortality of the spirit from the external world.
- What is spirit (rooh)? Can spirit's essence be comprehended? Is spirit merely brain? What is the relationship between spirit and body?
- Third Source: The existence and immortality of the spirit as a law and truth.
- What is the real existance of a living thing(spl:Human) spirit or body?
- Introduction: The proofs about the issues that the human spirit was created for immortality and that the spirits of the dead are not annihilated but preserved.
- Fourth Source: The constancy of laws despite the constant change in living beings; the immortality of the spirit as a law which is stronger than natural laws.