Can jinn possess men?
Shibli reports that jinn can enter the bodies of humans and give harm to them and some Ehli Sunnah scholars including Abul Hasan al-Ash’ari believe it and explain it in their articles and adduce the verse in which the situation of people devouring usury is explained;” Those who devour usury will not stand except as stands one whom the Evil One by his touch has driven to madness”. (1)When the son of Ahmad b. Hanbal, Abdullah asked his father: “some people say jinn cannot enter the bodies of humans. What do you say about it?” Ahmad b. Hanbal answered “they are liars” Possession by jinn is a common belief in the society. Everybody has something to tell about it. It is not special to our country; it is common in almost all countries.
Shibli reports that jinn can enter the bodies of humans and give harm to them and some Ehli Sunnah scholars including Abul Hasan al-Ashari believe it and explain it in their articles and adduce the verse in which the situation of people devouring usury is explained; Those who devour usury will not stand except as stands one whom the Evil One by his touch has driven to madness. (1)When the son of Ahmad b. Hanbal, Abdullah asked his father: some people say jinn cannot enter the bodies of humans. What do you say about it? Ahmad b. Hanbal answered they are liars (2)
Abdullah Qadir says the conditions in which jinn can give harm to human beings are as follows:
Jinn pester believers (Muslims) mostly when they are junub (unclean) and in menstruation and pester people who are unaware of Islamic life in the same situations in different ways and levels. A sin that is committed is a kind of a door or a window for devils and wicked jinn. Especially people who are sensitive, who have corrupted souls and who live away from prayer and the atmosphere of the prayer are easily affected by jinn. To violate their borders of life and not to observe their rights and to occupy their homes without saying basmala are important factors that make jinn give harm to men. So, the Prophet advises us to pray while entering into unclean places and forbids us from performing prayers near rubbish heaps, dumps, public baths, grassy places, and toilets and even in cemeteries. The Prophet advises us to say Allahumma inni auzu bika minal-khubthi wal-khabaith while getting into toilet and commands us to pray in every phase of our life and show up in clean surroundings which can be a shield or a stronghold protecting us from harmful arrows, to be with clean people, to live in an atmosphere of prayer and protect ourselves with worship.
So, those who want to be away from the wickedness of jinn must firstly keep themselves away from sins and block the holes through which they can get. (3)
(1) Shibli, Cinlerin Esrarı, p. 258.
(2) Shibli, ibid, p. 256-257.
(3) S. Nur, p. 153-154.
- Can the jinns strike the humans?
- Taking interest!!!!
- Those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger
- The verses about usury (interest)
- What are the things that were given to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in Miraj (Ascension)?
- Those who wait in the river of blood
- Does evil-eye kill a person? What kind of precautions can be taken against evil-eye? What are the reasons of evil-eye? Is it permissible to wear an evil-eye bead?
- Can we have contact with jinn?
- Second Radiance: The continuing youth of the Qur'an in every age; its rules and laws are ageless; a comparison between the civilization of the Qur'an and human civilization.
- People whose bellies are like houses and full of snakes