1. THE CONFESSION OF FAITH (SHAHADA)
If you feel that you believe in Islam and would like to become a Muslim you need to pronounce the shahada (the confession of faith) with a voice that you can hear and with conviction and understanding its meaning:
I testify "La ilah illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah."
These Arabic words (called Shahada or the testimony) mean "There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God."
The first part, "There is no true god but God," means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. The second part means that
Muhammad is a true Prophet sent by God to humankind.
To be a Muslim, one should also:
- Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him.
- Believe that the Judgment Day (Resurrection Day) is true and will come, as God promised in the Quran.
- Accept Islam as his or her religion.
- Not worship anything or anyone, except God.
It is that easy. You can do it now without the need to be in front of a Muslim, even though it is better so he/she may correct your pronunciation.
Once you pronounce the testimony with conviction, then you have become a Muslim. It is between you and God.
- Begining Where?
- Is there a hadith meaning a guest comes with ten shares (of sustenance); he eats one share and leaves the remaining shares?
- How should our war be?
- What is Adhan (Call to prayer)?
- Usayd bin Khudayr (r.a.)
- Is the origin of all religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) Hz. Ibrahim's Hanif religion?
- What could have possibly led the humans to commit an irrarional act as worshipping idols?
- Who is an Unbeliever? What are the Causes that Lead one to Unbelief?
- Can you tell me about Islam?
- Why do women have half the men's right of testimony?