Is zakah paid for the money that has been inherited?
Submitted by on Thu, 07/09/2023 - 15:05
Dear Brother / Sister,
First of all, we should state that a person who did not pay zakah though it was due and died, he is held responsible for zakah according to the majority of scholars. (Ibn Rushd, Bidayatul-Mujtahid, 1/307)
Therefore, if some property whose zakah has not been paid is left to the heirs, they must first pay the zakah debt of the deceased person and then share the remaining inheritance.
In addition, with the death of a person, the property passes to his heirs. (Ibn Nujaym, Bahrur-Raiq, 5/557)
It does not matter if the distribution was made late or the property was not received for any other reason.
For example, if a poor person inherits wealth equal to or more than the amount of nisab, he is regarded as a rich person from the day of his relative’s death. After he owns this wealth for one Hijri year, he is obliged to give zakah.
If the inheritor is rich, the amount of inheritance is added to the amount of the current year.
Questions on Islam
- Is zakah paid for luxurious houses and cars? Is there a limit for their material value?
- Calculation Of Zakat
- When is zakah paid? Will you give detailed information about when to give zakah?
- For whom is Zakah fard? Will you give information about the ways of giving zakah, conditions for being liable to pay zakah, the time to give zakah and to whom to give zakah?
- Is it permissible to give zakah to one’s grandfather and grandchild?
- Can I give zakah in advance before a year is completed?
- How is Zakah Paid?
- How can I calculate zakath on deposited money in Islamic bank?
- What is the importance of zakah (alms) in terms of the community?
- Zakatable Assets/Items..