Will you give information about the delusions that come to man related to hypocrisy (riya)? When I look behind, I see that I expected help from people and acted hypocritically when I worshipped and expected reward from Allah.
I am twenty-two years old; I have always tried to worship; I sometimes stopped worshipping and committed sins. When I look behind, I see that I expected help from people and acted hypocritically when I worshipped and expected reward from Allah. I wanted others to see me when I performed prayers; they are all due to ignorance. I did not understand that those that I showed my worshipping could not give me anything. Now I want to get rid of it but my spirit has been dirtied; I do not want to fall into despair. I will be very glad if you give me some information about getting rid of hypocrisy.
Submitted by on Tue, 13/03/2018 - 10:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is necessary not to confuse delusions with hypocrisy (riya). Satan tells man that his worshipping is hypocrisy in order to drive him away from worshipping. If man does not notice that it is delusion, this will cause problems in man. As he thinks about it, he starts to fall into despair. Therefore, we should try to worship without expecting any worldly benefits from worshipping. In addition, we should not give importance to the delusions that come to the mind.
There is no hypocrisy in fards. It is not appropriate to perform fard deeds secretly. It is necessary to perform fard deeds openly. Furthermore, it is more appropriate to perform sunnah deeds that are about to pass into oblivion openly so that they will not be forgotten. When one does so, he will not propagate himself, but the deed of worshipping.
Questions on Islam
- Is a prayer that is not performed in awe valid? Do the delusions that come in prayer invalidate prayer?
- I feel delusions as if I pass wind when I have wudu and as if I break wudu. What should I do? I feel delusions while making ghusl too.
- Does self-reliance mean to rely on one's soul? What is the relationship between reliance on Allah and self-reliance?
- Do we have to tell someone that I have prayed?
- Worldly things come to my mind in prayer. I cannot be peaceful and perform prayer in khushu (humbly). What should I do?
- Do the thoughts that come to my mind about denying Allah make me faithless?
- While performing prayer, there are always things that come to my mind involuntarily, I think about something; does this invalidate my prayer?
- Why does Allah threaten those who abandon worshipping to send to Hell?
- Will you give information about performing sunnah prayers at home?
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?