Why is the phrase “house of Allah” used for the Kaaba? How can a place in the world be called “house of Allah”? Does Allah have a house?
Submitted by on Wed, 09/10/2013 - 09:13
Dear Brother / Sister,
Allah’s house, the Kaaba. Bayt means house in Arabic. Baytullah means house of Allah and it is a phrase used for the Kaaba. In the Quran, it is generally mentioned as “al-bayt” (the house); and Baytullah, the Kaaba, is meant by this word. In addition, al-Bayt al-Haram, that is, the holy house, is used in two verses (al-Maida 5/2, 97) and al-Bayt al-Atiq in two verses (al-Hajj, 22/29, 33).The word the Kaaba is mentioned only in two places.
In fact, Allah is the real owner of the earth, the sky and everything between them, in short, the universe. The reason why the Kaaba is called Baytullah (house of Allah) is because it was built to be worshipped Allah in it; and only Allah is worshipped there. Thus, Allah elevated its honor by attaching it to His name.
According to what we learn from the Quran, the first worshipping place that was built on the earth is Baytullah:
"The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka." (Aal-i Imran, 3/96).
When Hz. Ibrahim (pbuh) and his son, Ismail (pbuh)built Baytullah, they prayed Allah as follows:
"Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us; for thou art the All-Hearing the All-Knowing. Our Lord! Make of us Muslims bowing to Thy (Will) and of our progeny a people Muslim bowing to Thy (Will) and show us our places for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning Most-Merciful."(al-Baqara, 2/127-129).
Allah made Baytullah a place of assembly and safety so that people would fulfill lofty aims:
"We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety."(al-Baqara, 2/125).
Allah ordered people to keep Baytullah clean for those who circumambulate it and worship, bow or prostrate there. (see al-Baqara, 2/125)
Questions on Islam
- Can you give information about the Kaaba?
- How should we understand the verses stating that the Kaaba is protected (safe)?..
- The Extraordinary States of His Descendants (Sayyids and Sharifs) called Aal-i Muhammad that Came After His Death and Their Service to Islam prove His Prophethood.
- Will you explain the concepts of Ahl as-Sunnah and Ahl al-Bayt?
- Are there hadiths about loving Ahl al-Bayt?
- Will you give information about Rukn al-Yamani corner of the Kaaba?
- Shia and their claims about Hz. Ali’s caliphate...
- Is what is told about the marriage of Hz. Umar’s marriage with Hz. Ali’s daughter Umm Kulthum true?
- Since the Kaaba is the first house built for worshipping, why did Masjid al-Aqsa become the qiblah in the first years of Islam?
- Thawban (r.a.)