Why is fornication haram? What is the reason why this deed, which does not harm anyone, is haram?
Submitted by on Mon, 11/03/2013 - 09:28
Dear Brother / Sister,
If something was rendered haram, it is haram because Allah rendered it haram. The other reasons are not the real reason why it is haram. For instance, pork is harmful to human health and haram because of the virus it contains. However, even if this harm is eliminated, it will still be haram. The elimination of the harm does not render something halal. For, this harm is only the part of the harm that we can see. There are many more harms that we cannot see and reasons why it was rendered haram.
Everything that is haram is harmful to man. However, to what extent do we know these harms? That we do not know them does not make that thing harmless. It was not known in the past that pork was harmful; its harms became apparent as science developed. Then, people should have objected to it since its harms were not known in the past; such reasoning is not right. We are obliged to obey what we are ordered; as science develops and the visible benefits of obeying Allah appear, our definite knowledge will increase.
Science is still unable to understand the wisdoms behind the orders of Allah; they are understood in the course of time. Fornication has a lot of harms to both the personal life of man and the community. They have been stated by psychologists and sociologists.
Fornication is regarded as haram and a very ugly deed in Islam and in the heavenly religions before it. It is one of the major sins. Its punishment is the most severe one because it is a crime against honor and lineage.
The following is stated in the Quran:
"Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils)."(al-Isra, 17/32).
"Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred, except for just cause, not commit fornication― and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. (But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy."(al-Furqan, 25/68, 69).
Questions on Islam
- Why is fornication haram? What is the reason why this deed, which does not harm anyone, is haram?
- Is it permissible to use the products/food items that include gelatin as an additive? Is it halal when it is not definitely known that it is haram?
- Abdullah bin Abbas (r.a.)
- Is Smoking Haram?
- What is Haram?
- Do zarurahs (necessities) render harams halal? Is it possible in Islam to abandon fards for harams or to commit a haram deed for something fard? If yes, when?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Why does Allah command people
- What are the traps (tricks) of Satan?
- Is tawassul permissible according to verses and hadiths?