While performing wudu, I forget whether I have made niyyah or not and I make niyyah again. What can I do to get rid of this?
Submitted by on Sat, 25/04/2015 - 11:32
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to the Hanafi madhhab, it is sunnah to make niyyah (intention) in wudu. Your wudu is valid even if you do not make niyyah. So, it is unnecessary to make waswasa (groundless worry). After making niyyah at the beginning, if a waswasa comes to your mind like “whether I have made niyyah or not”, continue performing wudu without making niyyah again. By this way, the waswasa will disappear in a short time.
It is fard to make niyyah in salah. Nevertheless, it is not necessary to doubt “whether I have made niyyah or not” because of the waswasa.
We must also pay attention to this point: The place of niyyah is the heart. From this point of view, if someone makes his/her niyyah in the heart correctly, his/her niyyah becomes valid. For example, if someone -who is performing the noon salah- makes his/her niyyah to perform the noon salah in the heart and to perform the afternoon salah verbally, his/her salah is valid as the niyyah made from the heart is valid.
Niyyah means that the heart decides to do something and knows for what this work is being done without thinking. Niyyah in relation with salah means that the person wishes to perform his/her salah only for the sake of Allah, and he/she knows and considers which salah he/she is about to perform. Niyyah belongs to the heart. However, it is regarded better to make niyyah verbally too.
Questions on Islam
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- If we perform more rak'ahs than necessary in the fard of a salah, what must we do? Can we perform more rak'ahs than necessary in the fard of a salah intentionally?
- Cases in Which Wudu is Broken
- In what case does Allah not accept a salah performed by a person?
- While in salah in congregation, if someone from the congregation behaves in such a way that requires sajda as-sahw, what must he/she do?
- Does breaking wind or leakage like madhi coming out while making ghusl invalidate ghusl?
- Is it necessary to perform the prayer again if there is blood on our clothes?
- Does a person who realizes after performing a prayer that there is a substance on his/her skin which is an obstacle for the validity of wudu (ablution) have to repeat his/her prayer?
- How Many Pillars (Essential Parts) are there in a Prayer?
- Is it Necessary to say Basmala and Make Niyyah before Making Ghusl?