What was the family life of the Prophet (pbuh) with Hz. Khadijah like? How many children did the Prophet (pbuh) have from Hz. Khadijah?
- Did prophet Muhammad (PBUH) get marry with another woman while Hz. Khadija was alive?
Submitted by on Tue, 20/02/2018 - 13:35
Dear Brother / Sister,
Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) and Hazrat Khadija, who had attained the honor of being our Holy Prophet’s (PBUH) first wife, only stayed a few days in Abu Talib’s home. Afterwards, they returned to Hazrat Khadija’s home in which they would spend their blissful lives.
The Master of the Universe (PBUH) did not marry anyone else while this pure woman, who he referred to as “Khadija aI-Kubra”, was alive.1 He found every kind of consolation and bliss in this home.
Nothing had really been left to our Holy Prophet (PBUH) from his father’s inheritance. In addition, Abu Talib, who had been our Holy Prophet’s guardian for a long time, was in extreme poverty. In this regard, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) had led a life filled with thousands of hardships and difficulties until he married Hazrat Khadija.
After he married Hazrat Khadija, he used her wealth for the purpose of trade and attained a certain degree of abundance. Nevertheless, despite his wife’s ample wealth, he always avoided extravagance, show-off, and luxury. He continued living his life in a plain and humble fashion. Furthermore, he did not allow worldly wealth to occupy his heart in anyway; completely different kinds of divine and holy feelings had embosomed his glorious soul. The love of this world was never able to unravel those divine feelings.
Afterwards, Hazrat Khadija had six children from our Holy Prophet (PBUH): Qasim, Zainab, Ruqiyyah, Umm Kulthum, Fatima, and Abdullah (Tayyib-Tahir)- in chronological order.2
Our Holy Prophet (PBUH)’s and Hazrat Khadija’s most divine feelings had merged in their happy home. Mutual trust, sincere respect, and love governed their family dynamics. Although Hazrat Khadija was fifteen years older than her husband, she was always conscientious, sensitive, and immensely polite towards her husband.
Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) deeply loved his esteemed wife so much that even after her death, he never tossed away his love for her and kept their eternal togetherness in an exclusive part of his heart.
Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) would always mention Hazrat Khadija’s generosity, benevolence, and all the help that she provided. This reminiscence was enough to rouse our mother Hazrat Aisha’s jealousy and make her say,
“I did not feel jealous of any of the wives of the Prophet as much as I did of Khadija.”3
How could he not mention her? She was the mother of his children except for one. She extended her friendship to him while everyone else had become an enemy. She consoled him in the face of all kinds of torture and troubles. While everyone had turned their backs to him, she never left his side.
Of course, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) would always reminisce about and would never forget his wife who possessed eminent virtues and an eminent bond of sentiment.
1. Sirah, 1/201.
2. Sirah, 1/202; Tabaqat, 1/133; 8/16.
3. Muslim, 7/133.
Questions on Islam
- Prophet’s (PBUH) marriage to Hazrat Khadija
- How did the Prophet (pbuh) get engaged with Hz. Aisha?
- How did the Prophet (pbuh) marry Hz. Khadijah? What was their marriage ceremony like?
- The Prophet goes to Damascus for the second time
- How did the first revelation affect the Prophet (pbuh)? How did Waraqa bin Nawfal explain the incidents that took place during the first revelation?
- How did the Prophet (pbuh) make his first marriage after the death of Hz. Khadijah to Hz. Sawda bint Zam'a? What is the wisdom behind his marriage to this quite old woman?
- How did the second trade journey of the Prophet (pbuh) to Damascus take place? What were the extraordinary incidents that were signs of prophethood during this journey?
- Who is the first wet-nurse of the Prophet (pbuh)?
- The Prophet Frees Zayd Bin Haritha
- Khadija bint Khuwaylid (r.anha)