What should you do about your prayers when you are sick?
Submitted by on Sun, 11/10/2009 - 18:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
The religion of Islam does not command a worship to anybody which exceeds their capacity and which they cannot bear or perform. For example, a person who cannot stand performs his/her prayers in a sitting position. If an expert and religious doctor tells somebody that it would be harmful for him/her to fast, then s/he does not fast. S/he fasts when s/he is healthy or if s/he will never be able to fast, then s/he pays a ransom: (to feed a poor person). (Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the prescribed number (should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (with hardship) is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more of his own free-will―it is better for him, and it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew. (2:184) Therefore, although a Muslim is to perform his/her worships by all means, s/he is responsible for what s/he can perform from these worships. And you also perform your worships according to your state and to the advice of an expert doctor. However, Allah will question His slaves because of the obligatory worships which they did not perform without a valid excuse.
Questions on Islam
- Could you give information about the qada (compensation) of missed fasts and paying ransom (fidyah) for those fasts?
- Could you please give information about the subject of "Excuse" in Islam? In which conditions do we become (mazur) excused about the religious services?
- There are narrations about rewards (sawabs) which will be given to the prayers cited. What are the conditions for deserving rewards promised for prayers? Can anyone citing that prayer deserve that reward?
- What are children's rights over their parents?
- Can a person appoint a proxy for worships like daily prayers (salah), fasting, zakat (almsgiving) and Hajj?
- How can we strengthen our faith? Could you give information about the increase and decrease of faith, investigative faith and imitative faith and the importance of faith?
- Could you give some information on nationalism and racism? Is it religiously permissible if I love my nation better than other nations?
- What are the advantages of belief in the Hereafter for the society and individuals?
- Is it permissible to fast, perform prayers on behalf of someone else?
- Where on Earth will everyone be on the Last Day when Allah resurrects us and gets ready to judge everybody?