What is the reason behind the fact that the man pays the woman mahr (dowry) for marriage? Why does the man have to pay it but not the woman?
Submitted by on Mon, 07/06/2010 - 11:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
There has been a division of tasks between the woman and the man since ancient times so that the tasks about the dwelling and family will be fulfilled in the best way. The man works outside and works very hard when necessary to earn the bread. The woman directs the house, cooks meals and looks after the children. Therefore, all of the financial responsibilities lie on the man not woman. Mahr and nafaqa (alimony) are among those responsibilities. That division of tasks is in compliance with the nature and creation of man and woman and with the divine sunnah. Since man is stronger, he is more apt to work and earn money. The following is stated in the Quran: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means." (an-Nisa, 4/34).
Mahr is like a reserve fund for the woman during her marriage life. If a woman loses her husband suddenly or if they are divorced, it will be very difficult for her to stay in the house of her husband; mahr will support her until she starts a new life.
Questions on Islam
- What are the responsibilities the woman in the family and her duties toward her husband?
- Could you please give information about "Nafaqa" (Sustenance: Maintenance: Alimony)?
- How to Resolve Family Conflicts?
- What are children's rights over their parents?
- Before the Lord of the Universe (pbuh) was given the duty of prophethood, how was religious, moral and social state of humanity and world?
- Can you explain the methods of overcoming excitement and of becoming successful? (Social Phobia)
- Can't Qur'an be the words of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? If not, how can it be proven?
- What is the importance of taking care of girls (daughters)?
- Could you give some information on nationalism and racism? Is it religiously permissible if I love my nation better than other nations?
- Is the marriage valid which is performed secretly from parents?