What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse?
What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse? WHAT IS THE PENALTY IN THE HEREAFTER FOR A PERSON WHO DOES NOT PERFORM FASTING IN RAMADAN?
Submitted by on Fri, 26/05/2017 - 16:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Performing fasting is one of the conditions of being a Muslim. A person who accepts Islam and who regards himself as a Muslim by saying, "Alhamdulillah I am a Muslim" has to perform fasting in Ramadan and keep his promise to Allah.
The word Muslim is derived from the verb "to surrender/to be safe and secure". A Muslim who surrenders himself wholly to the Owner of the skies and the earth needs to give importance to the worshipping of fasting as soon as Ramadan starts and fulfill his servitude. To do the opposite, to ignore fasting in Ramadan though he is healthy deprives this person of the abundance and spiritual rewards of Ramadan. However, the real loss is that the fasting that is skipped cannot be compensated by anything. The Prophet (pbuh) states the following regarding the issue:
"If a person skips fasting one day in Ramadan without any excuse and without being ill, he cannot compensate for it even if he fasts for the whole year." (at-Targhib wat' -Tarhib, 2:452)
A person who breaks his fast during the day without any excuse performs fasting for sixty days after Ramadan to compensate for it but he cannot get the reward for the fasting that he broke. He cannot get the same virtue. For, the reward of a deed of worshipping performed in time cannot be obtained when it is performed later as qada.
There is also an otherworldly aspect of the issue. That is, penalty in the hereafter is in question. The Prophet (pbuh) narrates the penalty of not fasting in the hereafter as follows:
"While I was sleeping, two men came; they held my arms and took me to a mountain which was very hard to climb. They said to me, 'Climb the mountain.'
I said, 'I cannot climb.' They said, 'We will make it easy for you.' Thereupon, I started to climb. In the middle of the mountain, I heard some loud voices.
I said, 'What are those voices?' They said, 'They are the screams of the people of Hell.'
We went on climbing. I saw some people whose cheeks were ripped, blood coming out of those rips. Their feet were tied. I asked, 'Who are they?' They said, "They are the ones who broke their fasting early (who did not perform fasting). (at-Targhib wat' -Tarhib, 2:453)
It is necessary not to ignore fasting, which has hundreds of material and spiritual benefits, and to take pleasure of servitude so as not to undergo these losses and to avoid penalties.
The fasting of Mawlana Jalaluddin Rumi: The Mother Fasting acted kindly and rejoined her children. My child! Do not miss the opportunity! Hold your Mother Fasting firmly! Do not let her go! Suck her milk of grace! Dwell where she dwells! Sit at the door of fasting! Look at the desert of consent and watch the spring of Allah! Watch His Paradise full of daffodils of fasting! O bud! You are too weak. You have not flourished yet. Jump like the spring acrobat dancing on the rope and pass through the hoop of fasting! O rose! You are in blood. Then, why are you so happy and laughing?
Or are you the Ishaq of Khalil since you like the dagger of fasting? Why are you in love with bread? Watch the world that rejuvenates in the season of spring! Buy the wheat of soul in the threshing of fasting!
Questions on Islam
- Does a woman who cannot fast in pregnancy perform fasting later or pay fidyah?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Can Ramadan fasting be postponed due to Coronavirus epidemic?
- What should a person who skipped fasting one day in Ramadan though he had no excuse like being ill do?
- Urine Drop Problem- FUP Question
- Is it permissible to perform the fasting of Shawwal and the fasting of Qada together?
- In which situations is a person permitted not to fast?
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?
- Special File for Ramadan
- "If a person has some missed fasting that he has not performed from the previous Ramadan and reaches Ramadan, his fasting in Ramadan will not be accepted." According to this hadith, can those who have some missed fasting that they have not performed from