What is the meaning of the “being forgotten by of Allah” mentioned in a Hadith?
Submitted by on Mon, 29/11/2010 - 13:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Abu Said and Abu Hurairah narrate: “The messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: “On the day of Judgment, man is taken to the presence of Allah to give account. Allah asks him:
“Did I not give you ears, eyes, property and offspring? Did I not give you an opportunity to rule over animals and farming? Did I not make you the chief of them and leave you free to benefit from it? Have you ever thought that you would meet Me? And he would say: No. Thereupon Allah will say: “Well, We forget you as you forgot Us. (Just like you did in the worldly life)” (Tirmidhi, Qiyamah 7, (2430).
Explanation of the Hadith:
This hadith informs us that a person will be sentenced to oblivion by Allah unless he favors the benefactions that were given to him. Allah’s forgetting a person means to expose that person to torture, and to prevent him from being saved by not making His mercy being manifested.
(See Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Canan, Al-Kutubu's-Sitta's translation and explanation)
Questions on Islam
- What are the qualities of those who enter the garden of Firdaws? (The Highest Gardens of the Paradise)
- What is an illicit relationship? What should we understand from illicit relationships (e.g prostitution, fornication)?
- Is there a type of covering of which Islam has prescribed? What is the purpose of tasattur (covering)? What does “garment of piety (taqwa)” mean? “Why should we cover our bodies in this age?”
- What does it mean that fasting is a protective shield? How does fasting protect us?
- Why is Islam the true religion?
- What is the wisdom behind circumambulating the Kaaba seven times? What is the meaning of tawaf (circumambulation)
- What is the wisdom and benefit of fasting?
- Is the superiority of prophets over one another mentioned in the Quran?
- Is marriage without flirtation not possible? What are the disadvantages of flirtation? Does Islam permit flirtation?
- Is it Sunnah to talk while eating?