What is the decree on not performing prayers? Does a person who does not perform prayers become an unbeliever; or, does he become only a sinner?
Submitted by on Tue, 14/03/2017 - 11:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
Prayer is a definite fard based on the Quran, hadiths and consensus. Prayer is a lofty duty that has to be fulfilled by all sane Muslims who have reached the age of puberty. Those who fulfill this fard worship attain many graces and help of Allah
To deny that prayer is fard makes a believer exit religion. However, those who do not perform prayers due to laziness without denying that it is fard will undergo great harms and loss spiritually.
Believers are ordered to perform prayers in many verses in the Quran. The following verse states that performing prayers is a definite obligation and duty for believers:
"…For such prayers are enjoined on believers at stated times." (an-Nisa, 4/103)
The following is stated in a hadith regarding the issue:
"Allah rendered five daily prayers fard for every male and female Muslim." [Majmaul Anhur (Sharhu Damad), Ihya Publications, 1/68; see Bukhari, Zakat, 1, 64]
Prayers were rendered fard as five times a day on the night of Miraj (Ascension) eighteen months before the Migration. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and believers performed prayers before Miraj, too. However, they performed prayers twice a day –in the morning and in the evening. They were not fard, but mandub.
Questions on Islam
- Can a person who does not perform prayers go to Paradise directly? If he has not performed any prayers, will he perform them in the hereafter?
- Is it true that we cannot perform prayers for 40 days after drinking alcohol?
- How should we understand the hadith "The only difference that distinguishes between a Muslim and an unbeliever is prayer (salah)"?
- Is there any evidence about performing prayers five times a day? Did the Prophet perform prayers three times a day?
- How should the statement ‘a person who does not perform prayers does not have belief’ be understood? Does a person who does not perform prayers become an unbeliever?
- The Witr prayer
- How is the end of a person who has never performed daily prayers in his life; is he considered to have denied Islam with his neglect? Does a person who does not offer prayers become a kafir (unbeliever)?
- Performing prayers is a great worship; therefore, it is a major sin to abandon performing prayers. Can a person who does not perform prayers be punished?
- The statements of Islamic scholars about abandoning prayers
- Can you inform us about the Importance of Prayer by considering these two Hadiths?