Can a person who commits a lot of sins be called an unbeliever? When the word “deniers” is used, I generally understand those who deny the existence of Allah. Can it be understood in another sense, for instance, as a sinner?
Submitted by on Sat, 30/09/2017 - 10:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
Those who commit sins but who believe in Allah and His true religion are different from deniers, unbelievers, hypocrites and polytheists. They are not included in these groups even if they commit sins. They can only be called fasiqs. Even if they burn in Hell, they will not stay there forever. A person who has committed a lot of sins cannot be called an unbeliever. However, there is a way that goes to unbelief in each sin.
The statement "there is a way that goes to unbelief in each sin," expresses an important reality. A person who keeps committing sins gets used to that sin and cannot give it up. This habit leads him to bigger spiritual dangers day by day. He starts to believe that this sin will not have an otherworldly penalty and he even goes too far as to believe that Hell should not exist. That is, that seed of sin that settles in the heart can turn to a tree of oleander – God forbid. (see Badiuzzaman, Lem'alar, p. 7; Mesnevî-i Nuriye, p. 115)
It is necessary for a person to abandon this sin that necessitates repentance and to pull himself together so as not to be exposed to such a danger and not to be deceived by the hatred of Satan.
Questions on Islam
- Will you explain the following verse: "But those who reject faith after they accepted it, and then go on adding to their defiance of faith,―never will their repentance be accepted; for they are those who have gone astray." (Aali Imran, 3/90)
- Is it not a contradiction that Allah created the sins and human beings so that they would repent and that He blamed those who committed sins and threatened them with Hell?
- What is the effect of partial free will? Since Allah gives everything, what is the importance of partial free will given to man?
- In what way is denying Allah regarded a boundless murder?
- What is Murted? Who is called an apostate; ex-Muslim? Can a Muslim be addressed as kafir (unbeliever)?
- There are many verses containing slang and cursing in the Quran. What is the wisdom behind it?
- Life in the Grave is True
- Who is an Unbeliever? What are the Causes that Lead one to Unbelief?
- How many nations and tribes were destroyed? Where, how and why?
- According to the verse the cunning of satan is feeble, can every trick of satan be understood?