What is baby shower party? Is it appropriate for Muslims to practice the customs like that introduced by non-Muslims?
Submitted by on Wed, 13/08/2014 - 14:06
Dear Brother / Sister,
Baby shower party means preparation for the baby. It is mostly celebrated in America. Some people have started to celebrate it in our country recently. The aim of the baby shower party is to meet the needs of the baby to be born and to have fun together with the mother-to-be. The friends of the mother-to-be organize the party. They buy the things that the baby will need to help the family. Everybody buys a gift in accordance with their budget. The mother-to-be is asked to make a list of needs and her friends buy gifts based on the list. Thus, the same gift is not bought by more than one person.
As for the question whether this party has any drawbacks in terms of our religion, these kinds of activities, which are done based on good intentions, cannot be called haram. However, there must not be anything haram during the celebration. It can be carried out within the boundaries of halal. As for buying gifts, it is not religiously appropriate to make people by gifts by embarrassing them. Some people might not afford to buy expensive gifts. It is also not appropriate to invite the rich to the celebration and to exclude the poor. When these aspects are taken into consideration, it is seen that the customs of foreign cultures do not comply with our culture.
The customs that exist in our culture are sufficient for us. If the aim is to meet the needs of the baby, people buy gifts and go to see the baby in our culture anyway. It is more reasonable to buy a gift for a newborn baby and to go to see it than buying a gift for a baby that has not been born yet and that is not definite to be born.
Besides, if the baby is not born alive after such a celebration and the gifts that have been bought, the mother-to-be may suffer a more severe psychological depression.
In conclusion, our customs in our culture are sufficient for us. There is no need to imitate the customs of non-Muslims.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to celebrate Valentine's Day and to exchange presents on that day?
- Is it permissible for a man to buy a present for his wife on Valentine’s Day?
- Is it permissible to receive gifts from non-Muslims?
- Future and Options Trading
- What are the frequent questions related to sacrificing an animal and their answers?
- What are children's rights over their parents?
- What is the importance of taking care of girls (daughters)?
- To what extent are friendships of chat right? How can the families that crack online be saved?
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE FOR WOMEN AND MEN TO HAVE PIERCING DONE? DOES IT HAVE ANY DRAWBACKS RELIGIOUSLY AND CULTURALLY?
- Is it permissible to drink water from the glasses that have the name/logo of an alcoholic drink on and to keep those glasses at home?