What are the evidences of the obligation of kaffarah (atonement) for fasting?
Submitted by on Thu, 09/05/2019 - 11:59
Dear Brother / Sister,
Kaffarah (atonement) for breaking fasting in Ramadan
The following is stated in the Quran:
"... Make not vain your deeds." (Muhammad, 47/33)
It is a sin to break fasting that is fard without a legitimate excuse. The Prophet (pbuh) states the following:
"If a person breaks fasting in Ramadan, it is necessary for him what is necessary for a person who commits zihar." (Ibnul Humam, Fathul-Qadir, II/70)
Thus, a person who breaks fasting deliberately in Ramadan has to perform fasting two months on end. It is fard for him. In addition, he has to perform the fasting he broke as qada.
"Kaffarah is not in question for nafilah fasting (fasting that is not fard). It is a sin to break fard fasting in Ramadan and it is not regarded the same as nafilah fasting." (Marghinani, I/125)
Questions on Islam
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Is it permissible to perform the fasting of Shawwal and the fasting of Qada together?
- Does brushing one's teeth with toothpaste invalidate fasting?
- What is perfect fast like? How should a fasting person behave?
- What to do on the Night of Power (Laylatul-Qadr)?
- Fasting makes us nice people and acceptable slaves
- Is it necessary to perform fasting on the day of arafah in the fasting of the first ten days of “Dhul-Hijjah”?
- Why Ramadan, Why Fasting?
- In some hadiths, the following is stated: "When the month of Ramadan comes, the rebellious devils (marada ash-shayatin) are chained." What does marada ash-shayatin mean? What are the manifestations of devils' being chained?
- Farewell Ramadan, Welcome Eid (Festival)