Is there a prayer peculiar to the month of Muharram?
- A prayer to be performed on the first night of the month of Muharram, that is the first night of the Hijri (lunar) new year, is mentioned in some places? Is there such a prayer?
Submitted by on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 11:45
Dear Brother / Sister,
We have not been able find any hadith in the sound sources that there is a special nafilah prayer for the month of Muharram or the first night of the Hijri (lunar) new year.
It would be appropriate for those who have qada (missed) prayers to perform the qada prayers first on blessed days and nights and then add tahajjud prayer at a time of the night because, as in all nights, tahajjud prayer is one of the best nafilah prayers to be performed on blessed nights.
Therefore, it is most appropriate to perform tahajjud prayer on the first night of Muharram.
As a matter of fact, the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) states the following:
“The most virtuous fasting, apart from Ramadan fasting, is the fasting in the month of Allah, Muharram. The most virtuous prayer, apart from fard prayers, is tahajjud prayer." (Muslim, Siyam 202-203; Abu Dawud, Sawm 55)
In addition, one should also read and understand the Quran, benefit from religious works and be engaged in dhikr and salawat.
Questions on Islam
- Magnificent Opportunity: the First Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah; Layal Ashara
- What are the hadiths related to sunnah/nafilah prayers and their virtues?
- They say the month of Safar is a "month of misfortunes. Is it true? Is it true that the Prophet (pbuh) was hit by some misfortune and became ill in this month? Is there any worshipping peculiar to this month or a prayer of protection?
- Nafila (supererogatory) Fasting
- Will you give information about Fasting in the month of Shawwal?
- Rawatib Prayers
- What is the judgement and virtue of fasting on the day of Arafah? How should we make use of the day of Arafa?
- The Month of Muharram and the Day of Ashura
- Three Unknown Features of the month of Muharram