Is there a hadith stating that the hands should be put on the ground/floor before the knees?
Submitted by on Mon, 28/03/2016 - 19:32
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is necessary to put the kneeson the ground/floor before the hands while going to prostration in accordance with the hadith. There are some hadiths of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) ordering that the hands need to be put on the ground before the hands but the narrations stating that those hadiths were abrogated are stronger.However, Imam Malik holds the view that first the hands and then the knees need to beput on the groundwhile going to prostration in accordance with those hadiths. Hanafis and Shafiis act in accordance with the following hadith:
Wail b. Hujur said, "I saw the Messenger of Allah put his knees on the ground before his hands while going to prostration and lift his hands before his knees while getting up from prostration." (Abu Dawud, II, 5)
According to Hanafis, first the knees, then the hands, after that the nose and finally the forehead are put on the ground while going to prostration. First the forehead, then the nose, after that the hands and finally the knees are liftedwhile getting up from prostration.
This order is certainly for healthy people. A person who suffers from rheumatism or a similar disease can put his organs on the ground in the order that is easier for him.
For instance, if a person cannot straighten his back fully in ruku', he can bend as much as he can; he does not have to force himself. If he cannot put his knees on the ground before his hands while going to prostration, he can put his hands on the ground first and then prostrates. (at-Tabyin - al-Badayi)
The hands are put abreast of the ears and the fingers are turned toward the qiblah. The same thing is valid for the toes. Men keep their abdomens a bit higher preventing them from touching their thighs but women keep their abdomens on their thighs. Men do not put their arms on the ground, holding them a bit high but women's arms touch the ground. (al-Khulasa - Fatawa al-Hindiyya; see Celal Yıldırım, Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı)
Questions on Islam
- The Principles of Prayer
- Is it permissible to wear shorts and to watch footballers who wear those shorts if the shorts are not long enough to cover the knees?
- Is It true that arms and elbows must not touch the ground in prostration?
- Does lifting the foot from the ground while in prostration invalidate prayer? Is it necessary to keep the big toe of the right foot on the ground during prostration only or throughout the prayer?
- How to perform the morning (fajr) prayer (Sunnah)
- How to perform the morning (fajr) prayer (Fard)
- The Sunnahs of Prayer
- How do women fold their arms and hold their hands in prayer? Do they need to clasp their hands on the wrist? Why do women perform prayers differently?
- Makruhs of prayer
- Is it permissible to perform prayers by sitting on a chair? Do people perform prayers on chairs because it is easier?