Is there a hadith meaning “If a person seeks the consent of people and prefers it to the consent of Allah, Allah will leave him to the mercy of people”?
"If a person seeks the consent of people and prefers it to the consent of Allah, Allah will leave him to the mercy of people. If a person prefers the consent of Allah even if people get angry, Allah's help is enough for him." (Narrator, Hz. Aisha)
- I copied it from an Internet website. Is there such a hadith?
Submitted by on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 15:22
Dear Brother / Sister,
The true translation of the hadith in question is as follows:
"If a person prefers the consent of Allah even if people get angry, Allah will suffice him in the face of the trouble from people. If a person seeks the consent of people even if Allah gets angry with him, Allah will leave him to the mercy of people." (Tirmidhi, Zuhd, 64; Kanzul-Ummal, h. no: 43034)
It is indicated in the hadith above that everything belongs to Allah and that what matters it to please Him. Therefore, it is the necessity of belief and reason to prefer Allah’s consent if a person has to prefer between pleasing Allah and pleasing people.
The words of hadith Ibn Hibban includes as marfu clarify the issue:
According to a narration, the Prophet (pbuh) said,
“If a person prefers the consent of Allah even if people get angry, Allah will be pleased with him and will make people pleased with him too. If a person seeks the consent of people even if Allah gets angry with him, Allah will be angry with him and will make people angry with him too." (Tuhfatul-Ahwazi, 7/82)
The following statement of Badiuzzaman Said Nursi is like the explanation of this hadith:
“You should seek divine pleasure in your actions. If Almighty God is pleased, it is of no importance if the whole world even is displeased. If He accepts an action and everyone else rejects it, their rejection has no effect. Once His pleasure has been gained and He has accepted an action, even if you do not ask it of Him, should He wish it and His wisdom requires it, He will make others accept it. He will make them consent to it too. For this reason, to seek divine pleasure should be the sole aim in this service” (Lem'alar, Yirmi Birinci Lem'a)
Questions on Islam
- Can you give some information about overcoming anger and about brotherhood of Islam?
- How can I get rid of jealousy?
- How can we contend with Dajjal? What can we do to avoid the mischief of Dajjal?
- A believer gives precedence to his brother. Our outlook on our refugee brothers.
- Will you give information about seeking Allah's consent while doing deeds? Is it appropriate to give sadaqah only to be protected from accidents and misfortunes?
- What is Religion?
- What is the religion of Islam?
- Can I get information about the high ethics of Hz. Muhammad (PBUH)?
- What could you say about the Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) personality?
- Did Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) blame all mistakes?