Is the name of Hz. Musa's sister Maryam or Kulthum?
Submitted by on Tue, 08/12/2015 - 17:47
Dear Brother / Sister,
In some resources, the name of Hz. Musa’s sister is mentioned as Maryam. (see Shawkani, Fathu’l-Qadir, al-Qasas, the interpretation of verse 28/12)
Accordingly, the name of Hz. Musa's sister is Maryam like Hz. Isa's mother.
According to the narration Mawardi makes from Dahhak, the name of Hz. Musa’s sister is Kalthama. As-Suhayli says it is Kulthum. This is accrding to a hadith reported by Zubayr b. Bakkar. Accordingly, the Prophet said to Hz. Khadijah,"Along with you, Allah will marry Maryam, the daughter of Imran, Kulthum, the sister of Musa and Asiya, the wife of the Pharaoh, off to me." Hz. Khadijah asked, "Did Allah inform you about it?" The Prophet said, "Yes". Thereupon, Khadijah said, "May it be nice and good for you!" (Qurtubi, Ahkam, al-Qasas, the interpretation of verse 28/12)
Besides, in another hadith narration, which is a weak one, the name of Hz. Musa’s sister is mentioned as Kulthum: “Allah decreed that Maryam, the daughter of Imran, Asiya, the wife of the Pharaoh and Kulthum, the sister of Musa, would be my wives in Paradise.” (Tabarani, al-Mu'jamu'l-Kabir, 8/258; Majmau’z-Zawaid, 9/218)
See other tafsir resources regarding the issue. (e.g. Abu Hayyan, al-Bahru’l-Muhit; Alusi, Ruhu’l-Maani, al-Qasas, the interpretation of verse 28/12)
Questions on Islam
- Is the name of Hz. Musa's sister Maryam or Kulthum?
- Hz. Maryam's father is mentioned as Imran in the Quran. Westerners call him Joachim. Is there a relationship between those two names?
- Prophet Musa [Moses] & Harun [Aaron] (Peace be upon them)
- Did Qarun believe in Allah? Did he cross the Red Sea? Is it true that he is Hz. Musa’s cousin (maternal uncle's son)? When and where was he destroyed?
- The most virtuous four women are mentioned; who are the most virtuous women?
- There are verses in our Book, the Quran, stating that Hz. Maryam is the sister of Hz. Harun. However, there are centuries between Hz. Isa, son of Mary, and the prophet Harun. Is it a name resemblance?
- Prophet Zakariyya [Zacharias] & Yahya [John] (Peace be upon them)
- Will you give information about the pedigrees of prophets and their order of coming?
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- What are the saddening incidents that took place in the life of the Prophet (pbuh) in the year called "the Year of Sorrow"? (the deaths of Abu Talib and Hz. Khadijah)