Is it a sunnah to shorten the beard and cut the beard from the sides? Did our Prophet (pbuh) say to a man who came near him, “I wish you had cut this and that part of your beard.”?
Submitted by on Mon, 18/10/2010 - 14:00
Dear Brother / Sister,
We did not come across with a hadith that has the meaning mentioned above. There are few narrations regarding trimming the beard but there are many narrations and views of the scholars stating that the beard should not be touched.
According to some narrations, Hazrat Prophet (pbuh) clipped his beard at the bottom and on the sides. (Tirmidhi, Adab, 17).
Imam Malik says, "A Muslim should grow his beard in the form that the majority of Muslims grow; he should cut the extra part; it is mandub (recommended). If that extra part is not cut, it causes an ugly appearance. There is no limit in shortening the beard. The best way is to shorten it so that it will look beautiful." Based upon an application reported from Imam Baji Abdullah Ibn Umar and Abu Hurayra Imam Malik said that the extra part out of a handful could be cut.”
It is stated in Durrul-Mukhtar that it is sunnah to have a handful of beard. Similarly, according to the opinion of the majority, it is sunnah to cut the extra part out of a handful.
Besides, there is a hadith about hair: “A person who has (long) hair should take good care of it.”(See Iraqi, Takhriju ahadithi’l-Ihya with Ihya, 1/142).
The following hadith is reported by Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi: “A man whose hair and beard was in a mess came to the place where the Prophet was. The Prophet said, ‘Does he not have any oil to take care of his hair?’” (Iraqi, ibid)
Questions on Islam
- Is the beard fard or just a Sunnah?
- About Growing Beards
- Is it makruh and a bid’ah for those who grow a beard to cut (shave) the hair under the lower lip?
- Is it haram to shave the beard?
- How did the Prophet take care of his beard? How wide and long should be a beard of Sunnah?
- What is the judgment for shaving or growing a beard? What are the judgments for beard and mustache based on evidence? What is the type of beard in compliance with the Sunnah?
- Is it permissible for men to pluck or to shave the hairs on their body parts?
- Is it halal (lawful or permitted) for a woman to wear a wig, cut or dye her hair?
- Will you give information about the face and appearance of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)?
- Is it sunnah to enter a place with the right foot and exit with the left foot, to start doing things from the right? Will you show the resources regarding the issue?