Is it makruh and a bid’ah for those who grow a beard to cut (shave) the hair under the lower lip?
Submitted by on Mon, 18/10/2010 - 13:48
Dear Brother / Sister,
In Raddu’l-Mukhtar, the following is reported from “al-Gharaib” briefly: “it is a bid’ah to cut the hair under the lower lip.” (Ibn Abidin, Raddu’l-Mukhtar, 6/407).
Celal Yildirim says –without giving any reference- “It is regarded a bid’ah for those who grow a beard to cut the hair under the lower lip because it is definite that the Prophet (pbuh) did not shave that part. (See Celal Yildirim, islam Fikhi, 4/207)
According to what Tahawi states, to shave the hair over the upper lip (the mustache) is better than to shorten them according to Imam Azam, Abu Yusuf and Muhammad. However, according to the Hanafi scholars that came after them, it is sunnah to shorten the mustache not to shave it. (See al-Bahru’r-Raiq-Shamila-7/163)
According to Hanafi scholars, it is not appropriate to shave the beard on the throat under the chin; according to Abu Yusuf there is no drawback to it. (See Raddu’l-Mukhtar, 2/418)
There is no drawback to cutting the hair on one’s face as long as he does not intend to resemble women. (See Raddu’l-Mukhtar, ibid)
Questions on Islam
- What is the judgment for shaving or growing a beard? What are the judgments for beard and mustache based on evidence? What is the type of beard in compliance with the Sunnah?
- Is it haram to shave the beard?
- Is it permissible to shave beards in upward direction?
- About Growing Beards
- Is the beard fard or just a Sunnah?
- How did the Prophet take care of his beard? How wide and long should be a beard of Sunnah?
- Is it a sunnah to shorten the beard and cut the beard from the sides? Did our Prophet (pbuh) say to a man who came near him, “I wish you had cut this and that part of your beard.”?
- Is it compulsory to grow a mustache in Islam? Is a person who does not grow a mustache as big as a fist regarded sinful? Is there any hadith (saying of the Prophet) which states that growing a mustache is compulsory and that one cannot be a Muslim without
- Is it permissible for men to pluck or to shave the hairs on their body parts?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim man to keep a beard stylishly, without any religious intent or purpose?