Is it permissible for women to go swimming in the sea?
Submitted by on Tue, 29/03/2016 - 00:49
Dear Brother / Sister,
The wives of the Prophet (pbuh) did not go swimming in the sea.
It is not permissible for women to go swimming in the sea if their body parts that are necessary to be covered (all of the body except the hands, face and feet) are uncovered and among men even if they wear clothes. However, it is permissible for women to swim in a secure place allocated to women if they cover their body parts that are necessary to be covered.
The parts of the body of a woman that are necessary to be covered in the presence of other women are the same parts as the parts of the body of a man that are necessary to be covered in the presence of other men. Therefore, it is not permissible for Muslim women to look at the body parts of other women between their navels and knees. However, a non-Muslim woman can look only at the face and hands of a Muslim woman; she cannot look at her other body parts.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for women to go swimming wearing swimming suits in accordance with tasattur rules?
- Is it a sin to go on holiday to the seaside in summer? We go to the seaside but women and men go swimming together. Is it appropriate for us to be there; is it appropriate for my spouse to swim there?
- Is it permissible for women to do sports in places where men are present?
- Is it haram for men to post their photos on social media?
- Is laser epilation permissible?
- Is it religiously permissible for a female doctor to treat a male patient?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? How should a woman dress according to the code of tasattur in Hanafi madhab?
- Doesnt women face draw more attention comparing to their hair? Why is hair covered up but not face?
- How is a free Muslim woman dresses when there are other people near her?
- Is it necessary for relatives and family friends to sit separately (men and women in separate places/rooms)? How should a man act when one of his adult sisters-in-law stays in his house for the night?