Is it permissible to cremate the dead body of a person?
Submitted by on Sat, 11/07/2009 - 03:14
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to our religion, the dead bodies need to be washed, enshrouded and buried in the ground. It is stated in the Quran that this action was taught to man by Allah and that Adam’s son, who found out about what to do with the dead body from the acts of a raven, said, "Woe is me! Was I not even, able to be as this raven and to hide the shame of my brother?!" (al-Maeda, 5/31)
In some other verses, it is implied that the dead body needs to be buried. (Taha 20/ 55, al-Mursalat 77/25-26; Abasa 80/21-22)
Burying the dead body has a lot of wisdoms in terms of environmental cleaning, health, preserving the prestige of man and reminding death, etc." (See Mustafa Uzunpostalcı, "Defin", Diyanet İslam Ansiklopedisi, v: 9, p: 86)
Besides, the following hadith was reported regarding the dead body from our Prophet:
"To break the bone of a dead person is like breaking the bone of a living person." (Muwatta, Janaiz 15; Abu Dawud, Janaiz 58-60; Ibn Majah Janaiz, 63)
That is, it is not permissible to break the bone of a living person; it is not permissible to break the bone of a dead person, either. Cremating the dead body of a person can be compared to it.
Questions on Islam
- How can we overcome the fear of death?
- How will the grave punishment of the dead people whose corpses are not found be? Does the soul suffer the punishment of grave?
- Is there penalty in the grave? What are the verses in the Quran related to penalty in the grave? If there is penalty in the grave, will it be for the body or the spirit? Is penalty in the grave contrary to Allah’s mercy?
- Is using a cadaver permissible? Is it religiously appropriate for the students studying and academicians teaching at the faculty of medicine to work on cadavers?
- Wahhabis say that tombs are indicators of shirk (polytheism). How was the application of the Companions? What are the views of the Islamic scholars regarding the issue?
- Is it a sin to cry loudly after a relative who died at home or next to his grave? Does this give pains to the dead person?
- What are the benefits of visiting graves? Do the dead people see those who come to their graves?
- Will you give information about the prayer to be said while visiting graves?
- Is organ transplantation Halal? What does Islam say about organ donation? Is it permissible to receive or donate an organ from or to a Non-Muslim?
- Organ Transplantation