If the imam and the male congregation stand in the same line, is the prayer invalidated?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 16:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
If there is only one person or a boy at the age of tamyiz along with the imam, he should stand at the right side of him but his heel must stand a little behind the imam. According to the majority of scholars, it is makrooh (abominable) for a person who is following the imam to perform a prayer in the same line, on his left side or behind him. For, this act is not in accordance with the sunnah. Such a prayer will be sahih (valid) and not batil (invalid). However, according to Hanbalis, if the person who follows the imam (muqtadi) performs a complete rak'ah in this way, his prayer becomes invalid. (See Zuhayli, Islamic Jurisprudence, 2/352)
Questions on Islam
- What are the necessary qualities for an Imam to have in order to lead a congregational prayer?
- Prayers in Congregation
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- At what distance should the congregation stand behind the imam?
- When should the congregation stand for the prayer? (Before the Iqama (call to prayer) or after it)
- Things that invalidate prayer
- Is it obligatory to perform prayers in congregation (Jamaat)?
- Janazah Prayer
- What should a person whose wudu is invalidated while performing a prayer do?
- If somebody joins the prayer of two people who are performing a prayer in congregation, where does he need to stand?