How should we understand the hadith "The only difference that distinguishes between a Muslim and an unbeliever is prayer (salah)"?
Submitted by on Mon, 27/02/2017 - 15:53
Dear Brother / Sister,
"Between Islam and polytheism and unbelief is the abandonment of salah (prayer).“ (Muslim, Iman 134; Abu Dawud, Sunnah 15)
“The agreement between munafiqs (hypocrites) and us is prayers.” (Tirmidhi, Iman 9; Nasai, Salah 8)
The threats in the hadiths above are for the people “who deny that prayer is fard or who regards it halal not to perform prayers”. Shirk (polytheism) and nifaq (hypocrisy) is not in question for a person who accepts that prayer is Allah’s order but acts lazily toward prayer. Such Muslims do not become unbelievers or hypocrites.
However, it should not be forgotten that a person who does not perform prayers for a long time will be exposed to some dangers in the course of time.
Questions on Islam
- How should we understand the hadith "The only thing that distinguishes between a Muslim and an unbeliever is prayer"?
- Some people claim that not performing prayers is shirk (polytheism) and unbelief. How true is their statement?
- Can you inform us about the Importance of Prayer by considering these two Hadiths?
- Will you give information about mutashabih hadiths? (He will open His leg and show His thigh; artists; in a cloud...)
- Will you explain the hadith “He who misses friday prayer without any excuse should give one dinar as sadaqah”? Will it be enough for a person who skips friday prayer to give a little amount of money as sadaqah?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- Considering that hadiths reached us through many narrators, why should we trust hadiths and why should we not deny hadiths?
- Is there a hadith meaning ‘My happiness is in prayer’?
- Is the statement ‘He who does not perform prayers will be with Korah, Pharaoh, Haman and Ubayy ibn Khalaf on the Day of Judgment a hadith?
- How is the end of a person who has never performed daily prayers in his life; is he considered to have denied Islam with his neglect? Does a person who does not offer prayers become a kafir (unbeliever)?