How our Prophet (Pbuh) slept at night and What should we do when we go to bed at night?
Submitted by on Mon, 14/09/2009 - 05:48
Dear Brother / Sister,
“The Prophet recited the following prayer when he went to bed in order to sleep: ‘Allahumma bi’smika amutu ve ahya’ (O my Lord, I sleep and wake up with your name); and when he woke up, he prayed as follows: ‘Alhamdulillah alladhi ahyana ba’da amatana ve ilayh an- nushur’ (All praise be to Allah who wakens us after we have slept and to whom we will return.) (Shamal Shareef/281)
Getting up for the tahajjud prayer (voluntary salat (prayer) that is done any time at night between Salat al-Isha and Salat al-Fajr) after sleeping for some time is sunnah (act and deeds of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)). It is a practice of the virtuous persons. That salat will be in the form of light in the grave. When someone wakes up, he should not put his hands inside a bowl or plate before washing his hands three times. (Ramuz, V. 1/30-2)
He lay down on his right side while lying down. One should not lie facedown while lying down. The Prophet (pbuh) has forbidden that kind of lying. The Prophet woke a person up who was lying down like that and told him “That way of lying is a kind of lying which Allah does not like.” (Abu Dawud, Adab: 95)
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about manners of sleeping? Will you give information about manners of lying face down and sleeping? Is lying face down a deed that was forbidden by the Sunnah?
- Is it sin to sleep by lying face down? What are the manners of sleeping?
- What is the decree about the legs facing the qiblah while sleeping? Should we sleep in a way that our heads face the qiblah? What are the manners of sleeping?
- Did the Prophet tell his Companions not to chat after the night prayer and to go to sleep?
- How was the sleeping pattern of the Prophet (pbuh)?
- Will you give information about the prayers to be said when one gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night?
- Is it Sunnah to eat a meal before going to bed?
- Is there a drawback in terms of health and religion to sleep after the morning prayer and between the afternoon and evening prayer (faylula, ghaylula and qaylula)?
- Does sleeping without leaning on anything invalidate wudu? Are there hadiths regarding the issue?
- Why lying face down is forbidden in Islam?