Did the Prophet tell his Companions not to chat after the night prayer and to go to sleep?
- Did the Prophet tell his Companions to go to sleep after the night prayer so that they could get up for the morning prayer?
Submitted by on Fri, 07/01/2022 - 08:34
Dear Brother / Sister,
The Prophet (pbuh) did not like sitting down and chatting unnecessarily after the night prayer (isha) and warned his Companions about it.
Hanafis regard delaying the night prayer up to the one third of the night mustahab, up to half of the night mubah and performing it after the half of the night makruh. Some Hanafi scholars regard it makruh tahrimi while others regard it makruh tanzihi. However, it is necessary to say that it is mustahab in winter. In summer, nights are short; therefore, it is mustahab to perform it early.
“The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) would delay the night prayer to the time called atama (when one-third of the night ends); he regarded sleeping before the night prayer and chatting after the night prayer makruh.” (Bukhari, Mawaqit 13-20; Muslim, Masajid 218-225; Nasai, Mawaqit 20)
Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (radiyallahu anh) narrates:
“The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) condemned us when we chatted after the night prayer; that is, he prohibited us from doing so.” (Ibn Majah, Salah 12)
As it is seen, the Prophet (pbuh) did not like sleeping late after the night prayer, due to unnecessary and useless talks because a person might miss the morning prayer (fajr) and it will be difficult for him to get up for tahajjud prayer if he does so.
A person begins a day by worshipping (morning prayer); similarly, likewise, he should finish the day like that.
Questions on Islam
- Is it a sin to perform the prayer at the end of the time for that prayer? Can the prayer be performed as soon as the adhan is recited?
- Is there a hadith that prohibits sleeping before performing the night prayer and that prohibits talking after performing the night prayer?
- I heard that the Prophet never ate watermelons, onions and garlic. Is it true? If so, what are the reasons for not eating them?
- What is the importance of time for prayer (salah)?
- What is negligence in salah?
- Will you give information about manners of sleeping? Will you give information about manners of lying face down and sleeping? Is lying face down a deed that was forbidden by the Sunnah?
- How our Prophet (Pbuh) slept at night and What should we do when we go to bed at night?
- It is said that there is no qada (missed) prayer in the Quran and hence there is no prayer called qada prayer. Is it true? Will you explain it with fiqh evidences?
- What is the decree on shaking hands in sunnah and how is it done? Which hand is used and how are hands shaken?
- What chapters and verses did the Prophet (pbuh) read in prayers?