How did the Prophet (pbuh) make ghusl? How much water did he use and how much time did he spend making ghusl?
What is known about the Prophet's making ghusl? How much time did he spend making ghusl? Did he shave before making ghusl? Did he make a special effort to wet between his fingers? Are there any hadiths regarding ghusl? Your answer will be useful for those who act meticulously while making ghusl?
Submitted by on Wed, 02/10/2019 - 10:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
When the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) wanted to make ghusl, he would first make wudu and then make ghusl. As a matter of fact, Hz. Aisha narrates how the Prophet (pbuh) made ghusl as follows:
"Whenever the Prophet (pbuh) took a bath after janabah, he started by washing his hands and then performed ablution like that for the prayer. After that, he would put his fingers in water and move the roots of his hair with them, and then pour three handfuls of water over his head and then pour water all over his body." (Bukhari, Ghusl, 1)
It is extravagance and haram to use more water than necessary while making wudu and ghusl. According to narrations, the Prophet (pbuh) made ghusl using about 875 gr. of water and ghusl using about 4.2 liters of water.
Questions on Islam
- Why is being janabah haram forbidden? Why are men regarded dirty? Is it haram for a junub person to eat and drink?
- Issues related to ghusl
- Is it Necessary to say Basmala and Make Niyyah before Making Ghusl?
- Does breaking wind or leakage like madhi coming out while making ghusl invalidate ghusl?
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- Is it a sin to eat and drink when one is junub?
- What is the wisdom behind ghusl? Why is ghusl made?
- What are the reasons that make tayammum valid?