How did Hz. Bilal kill Umayya b. Khalaf at the Battle of Badr? Abdurrahman b. Awf captivated Umayya b. Khalaf and his son.
Submitted by on Wed, 09/01/2019 - 14:23
Dear Brother / Sister,
Such an incident is narrated in historical resources (Ibn Ishaq and Ibn Hisham). As you have mentioned, Hz. Bilal wanted to kill him by saying "the head of unbelief". For, Umayya, who was the leader of the Jumah clan of Quraysh was really one of the leaders of unbelief.
In addition, he was the previous master of Hz. Bilal, who was a slave, and had tortured Bilal very much. Therefore, Bilal Habashi shouted, "If he lives, I will not live." The water carriers of who were captured before the Battle of Badr mentioned his name when they listed the fifteen leaders of Quraysh.
The verses related to the prisoners of war had not been sent down yet; therefore, it will not be appropriate to mention a law of prisoners of war based on verses. Umayya thought he would be released in return for a ransom. Various views were put forward related to the prisoners of war after the Battle of Badr. One of those views was to kill them; it is among the possibilities.
Though Hz. Bilal caused the death of Umayya, the Prophet (pbuh) did not blame or criticize him.
Martin Lings, Hz. Muhammed'in Hayatı, İz Publications, Istanbul, 1996, p. 241, 245, 253- 254 (Siratu Ibn Hisham, Vüstenfeld impression, p. 448- 449); al-Anfal, 8/ 67.
Questions on Islam
- What are the purposes of wars that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) fought?
- Is Hz. Ali a prophet? Will you give information about Hz. Ali?
- Amr bin As (r.a.)
- How did "the Expedition of Sawik", which ended without fighting, take place?
- Should a Muslim be guided by the Quran or hadiths? Are the Sunnah and Hadiths binding? To what extent are hadiths reliable?
- Is it true that Hz. Ali did not pay allegiance to Hz. Abu Bakr?
- Can it be proved that Islam is a religion of love, peace and tolerance? Can you give examples about it?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- How old was Aisha (R.A) when she got married to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?
- How did the Prophet receive revelation? What was the state of the Prophet like in the face of the heaviness of revelation?