Does the Quran say anything about the ethnic origin of the Pharaoh?
- Does the Quran clearly state the ruler of what nation Pharaoh was?
- I know he is an Egyptian ruler, but is there anything in the Quran to suggest his nation or ethnicity?
Submitted by on Mon, 21/11/2022 - 15:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
The ethnic origin of Pharaoh is not mentioned in the Quran. However, it is possible to know from the Quran in general that he was the king of Egypt. For example:
“Then after them We sent Moses with Our signs to Pharaoh and his chiefs, but they wrongfully rejected them: So see what was the end of those who made mischief. Moses said: ‘O Pharaoh! I am an apostle from the Lord of the worlds,-One for whom it is right to say nothing but truth about Allah. Now have I come unto you (people), from your Lord, with a clear (Sign): So let the Children of Israel depart along with me.’” (al-Araf, 7/103-105)
It is stated in the verses above that the Prophet Musa (Moses) was sent to Pharaoh and his chiefs. It is understood from different verses of the Quran that Moses was born and raised in Egypt, went to Madyan and then returned to Egypt.
So, Pharaoh is the king of Egypt.
One of the requests of Moses from Pharaoh was to allow Sons of Israel / Jews to leave with him. Thus, it is understood that Moses was of Jewish origin and hence Pharaoh was not of Jewish origin.
Questions on Islam
- Prophet Musa [Moses] & Harun [Aaron] (Peace be upon them)
- Will you give some information about Qarun?
- Will you please give information about the life story of Hz. Moses (PBUH)?
- What are the lessons we should take from the parable of Moses (peace be upon him) and Pharaoh?
- What is the state of sorcery in Judaism? Do they not regard sorcery haram today according to their religion?
- Are Jews cursed?
- Prophet Yusuf [Joseph] (Peace be upon him)
- What is the wisdom behind the fact that Moses and Aaron were sent to the same nation and at the same time? Why were two different prophets were sent to the same nation?
- Did the king who lived at the same age as the Prophet Joseph (Yusuf) was a prophet accept Yusuf’s prophethood or did he oppose Yusuf?
- Was the prayer Hz Musa (Moses) made so that the impediment from his speech would be removed accepted? If yes, why did Pharaoh mock him?