Does it necessitate atonement for a woman who normally covers her face with a veil if she uncovers her face while she is in ihram?
Submitted by on Sun, 13/12/2009 - 14:02
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is one of conditions of the Ihram for a woman to uncover her face. Namely, a woman does not cover her face beginning from the time of the Ihram. The Hadith “the Ihram for a woman is on her face” explains it. Namely, there is no condition for a woman in Ihram except uncovering her face. A man cannot wear seamed clothes and a woman cannot cover her face during the Ihram. (see Ikhtiyar, 1/156)
It is clear from the explanation above that it is a right act for your wife not to cover her face during the circumambulation of the Kaaba. However, covering her face without any excuse while she is in Ihram before the circumambulation of the Kaaba is a wrong act. It is necessary, as atonement, for her to sacrifice an animal like a goat or sheep. (see al-Jazari, al-Madhahibu’l-arbaa, 1/675-678)
Questions on Islam
- What are the frequent questions about hajj?
- Can Umrah be performed during the month of Dhul-qidah?
- Hajj Journey and Guide for a Deep Hajj
- Will you give information about entering ihram for umrah, regions of miqat and the Mosque of Tan’im?
- What is the wisdom behind circumambulating the Kaaba seven times? What is the meaning of tawaf (circumambulation)
- 5. Hajj (Pilgrimage) and Sacrifice
- Doesnt women face draw more attention comparing to their hair? Why is hair covered up but not face?
- Can you give information about the Kaaba?
- What is the Difference between Hajj and Umrah?
- Why is the covering of the Kaaba black?