Do Muslims join the polytheists and worship idols?
“Doomsday will not strike until some tribes from my ummah join the polytheists and some tribes from my ummah worship idols.” (Muslim, Imarah 170, (1920); Abu Dawud, Fitan 1, (4252); Tirmidhi, Fitan 32, (2203, 2220, 2230)
- Did what is mentioned in the hadith above occur?
- If yes, what are the examples of joining the polytheists and some tribes of the ummah worshipping idols?
- I want to be sure that I am not among them. Also, I thought that the Muslim ummah was protected from polytheism?
Submitted by on Mon, 07/11/2022 - 04:25
Dear Brother / Sister,
The hadith narration in question is sound. [see Muslim, Imarah 170, (1920); Abu Dawud, Fitan 1, (4252); Tirmidhi, Fitan 32, (2203, 2220, 2230).]
However, the text above does not exist in the Muslim hadith. There are only the following expressions:
“A group of my ummah will continue their struggle for truth. Those who oppose them will not be able to harm them. They will continue like that until Allah’s command / the Doomsday comes.” (Muslim, Imarah 170, h. no: 1920)
One of the narrations in Tirmidhi is as follows:
“Doomsday will not strike until some tribes from my ummah join the polytheists and some tribes from my ummah worship idols...” (Tirmidhi, Fitan 32, h. no: 2219)
In the other narration in Tirmidhi, the same information as in the Muslim hadith is given. (see Tirmidhi, Fitan, 32, h. no: 2229)
Tirmidhi states that those two hadiths are sound. (see Tirmidhi, Fitan, 32, h. no: 2219, 2229)
According to Bukhari, the group mentioned in the hadith “A group of my ummah will struggle for the truth...” is the people of knowledge and according to Ibn Hanbal, the people of hadith. However, according to Nawawi’s interpretation, they do not have be in a single group. All of those who take part in different groups of believers and perform different Islamic services are included. It includes those who participate in actual jihad (also in spiritual jihad), fiqh scholars, hadith scholars, ascetics, all those who enjoin good, forbid evil, and do other kinds of good deeds.
Thankfully, this ghayb news has emerged as a miracle throughout history and has continued and will continue until the Day of Judgment. (see Nawawi, Sharhu Muslim, 13/67)
As for the issue of joining the polytheists;
According to some scholars, that expression may be an allusion. As in the saying “servants of gold and silver”, there may be those who cling to their worldly interests, positions, influence and fame as if they worship. (see Awnul-Mabud, 11/218)
According to another interpretation, those mistakes do occur. Some of them occurred even during the caliphate of Abu Bakr Siddiq (r.a.) and went down in history as apostate movements. There will be similar movements in the End Times as well. (See Awnul-Mabud, ibid; see also Tuhfatul-Ahwazi, 6/686)
It means that the ummah of Islam will always continue on the right path, but some of them will leave the religion and worship idols; nevertheless, there will be no leaving the religion altogether.
Questions on Islam
- Who are the people that are mentioned as people from those of old and those of later times in the 13 and 14th verses of the chapter al-Waqia?
- His Information related to the Future Turn out True
- Why does test exist according to the Quran and Hadiths?
- It is stated in hadiths that amanah (honesty/trust) settled in the roots of men's hearts. What is this amanah? What is the reason why amanah is taken away from hearts?
- Ninth Sign: It is about miracles of the Prophet (pbuh) related to trees. It narrates the miracles about trees obeying the Prophet’s orders like human beings, and moving from their places to go to him.
- Eighth Sign: It explains the miracle of the Prophet (pbuh) about water gushing forth from his hands like a faucet and the increase in water when his mouth water contacts it.
- What are the signs of the Doomsday (Qiyamah)?
- The Companions of the Prophet (PBUH)
- What are the hadiths about prayer (salah)?
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?