Did Hz. Musa get married? If yes, how many children did he have? What are his children's names?
Submitted by on Tue, 08/12/2015 - 17:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
The following is stated regarding the issue in the Quran:
"Afterwards one of the (damsels) came (back) to him, walking bashfully. She said: 'My father invites thee that he may reward thee for having watered (our flocks) for us.' So when he came to him and narrated the story he said: 'Fear thou not: (well) hast thou escaped from unjust people.' Said one of the (damsels): 'O my (dear) father! Engage him on wages: truly the best of men for thee to employ is the (man) who is strong and trusty.' He said: 'I intended to wed one of these my daughters to thee on condition that thou serve me for eight years; but if thou complete ten years, it will be (grace) from thee. But I intend not to place thee under a difficulty: thou wilt find me, indeed, if Allah wills one of the righteous.' He said: 'Be that (the agreement) between me and thee: whichever of the two terms I fulfill, let there be no injustice to me. Be Allah a witness to what we say.'" (al-Qasas, 28/25-28).
Ibn Kathir writes the following: "There are different views about who the father of the girls was. There are views that he was Shuayb. The majority of the scholars hold this view. Hasan Basri states the following by using a narration from Malik b. Anas as evidence: "Hz. Shuayb lived for a long time after his nation was destroyed and married his daughter off to Musa."
After marrying Safura, the daughter of Hz. Shuayb, Hz. Musa stayed in Madyan for ten years and herded sheep as mahr of his wife. According to a narration, the Prophet (pbuh) was asked how long Hz. Musa worked. He said Hz. Musa worked for 10 years. It is understood from this narration that he herded sheep for ten years.
According to the information obtained from the Bible, Hz. Musa had two sons called Gershom and Eliezer out of this marriage. (Exodus, 2/16-22, 18/3-4; I. Chronicles, 23/15-17)
According to Islamic resources, when Hz. Musa completed the period of time he agreed in Madyan, he left Madyan with his wife and herd. He arrived at the Mount Sinai in a cold winter evening. He saw a fire on the mountain. When he approached the fire, he heard a voice and he was asked to go to the Pharaoh. Musa had a son there. His wife returned to Hz. Shuayb with her son. (Tha'labi, p. 136-139) Musa was appointed to go to the Pharaoh and save Children of Israel.
(see TDV İslam Ansiklopedisi, İstanbul 2006, MUSA item., Vol.31, p. 207-212)
Questions on Islam
- Prophet Shuayb [Jethro] (Peace be upon him)
- Will you please give information about the life story of Hz. Moses (PBUH)?
- Prophet Musa [Moses] & Harun [Aaron] (Peace be upon them)
- Where is the sacred "Tuwa Valley" mentioned in the Quran? Why was Hz. Musa sent the first revelation in this valley?
- Where is the sacred "Tuwa Valley" mentioned in the Quran? Why was the first revelation sent down to Hz. Musa (Moses) in that valley?
- Did Hz. Yusuf (Joseph) have any children? If, yes, what are their names?
- Prophet Khidr (Peace be upon him)
- Will you explain verse 143 of the chapter of al-Araf? Did Hz. Musa (Moses) say he wanted to see Allah?
- How many nations and tribes were destroyed? Where, how and why?
- Were the other ummahs also ordered to perform prayers, fasting and other kinds of worshipping?