Did Allah command the Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) to leave his father and the country he lived in?
Submitted by on Wed, 29/04/2015 - 12:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Yes. After Hz. Ibrahim conveyed the message of Allah to his nation and after he was saved from the fire he was thrown into by the deniers, he had to migrate. This issue is emphasized in the following verses:
“And the answer of Abraham's people was not but that they said, "Kill him or burn him," but Allah saved him from the fire. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.”
“And [Abraham] said, “You have only taken, other than Allah, idols as [a bond of] affection among you in worldly life. Then on the Day of Resurrection you will deny one another and curse one another, and your refuge will be the Fire, and you will not have any helpers.”
“And Lot believed him. [Abraham] said, “Indeed, I will emigrate to [the service of] my Lord. Indeed, He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.” (Surah al-Ankabut 29:24/25/26)
When people are tortured more than they can bear, they migrate and leave their children, wives, goods, houses, which are temporary pleasures. This is called Hijra (migration), which is a virtue.
The Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) migrated from Mecca to Madina under those conditions.
The word “qavm” (nation) means both the tribe a person belongs to and a community.
The important thing is to serve in the way of Allah. Every community that a prophet calls to the way of Allah is considered as his community.
The Prophet Abraham informed his nation about the necessary message and he was thrown into fire. It was now impossible for him to work as a prophet and show the truth there. It was even impossible for him to led a normal life.
The Pharaoh and his supporters to whom the Prophet Musa (Moses) conveyed the message did not belong to Musa’s own tribe.
In the following verse , it is stated that every community was sent a prophet:
“Indeed, We have sent you with the truth as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. And there was no nation but that there had passed within it a warner.” (Surah Fatir 35:24)
Questions on Islam
- Can you give me some brief information about Prophet Abraham's (pbuh) life?
- What does “I am from Abraham’s nation” mean? Can you give some information about Hanif religion?
- When Hz. Ibrahim was given a piece of good news about becoming a parent, which region and nation was he in? Where was Hz Lut and he was the leader of which nation at that time?
- Dihyatul-Kalbi (r.a.)
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- How many nations and tribes were destroyed? Where, how and why?
- How would you answer the claim that Nimrod and Hz. Ibrahim did not live in the same age and that the story of Hz. Ibrahim about being saved from the fire originated from Midrash Rabbah?
- Is Hijrah (migration) a flight or an ordinary migration? If not, what is it?
- Will you give information about the distortion process of the Bible (New Testament)?
- Why did Allah not make Adam (pbuh) live his childhood? Can we understand why?