Can you explain the word “abtar” in Surat al-Kawthar?
Submitted by on Thu, 04/12/2014 - 09:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
A son was a symbol of power at that period. The sovereignty among tribes was decided by power. The tribe with more people had the power. Arabs used to call a person who did not have a son as dying out and other similar nicknames. According to tafsirs, when the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)‘s sons died, disbelievers called and nicknamed him “abtar” ( infertile ). They wanted to insult him by saying “Let him go; he is the one who will die out”. (Tabari, Tafsir, XXX, 212)
So this verse (ayah) condemns their behaviour and states that even if they had children, they would be the ones who would die out. For, they will be remembered with hatred and curse till the Day of Judgment but the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is remembered with Allah’s compassion and his name is called next to Allah’s name five times a day in adhan (call to prayer) all around the world.
Because idolaters in Mecca looked at the events only superficially, they regarded the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as weak and alone. They regarded themselves as crowded and powerful; so they were sure that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) would fail his mission. Razi says, “Allah turned the case against them. He stated that the actual powerful ones were the ones supported by Allah and the weak ones were those who were lowered by Allah. So while kathrat and kawthar (multitude and bounties) were given to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), being abtar (infertility), and humiliation were given to his enemies . It is a glad tiding for Muslims who follow the path of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and who maintain his faith and determination. (Kur'an Yolu, Diyanet Tefsiri, V/665-667)
Questions on Islam
- What are the saddening incidents that took place in the life of the Prophet (pbuh) in the year called "the Year of Sorrow"? (the deaths of Abu Talib and Hz. Khadijah)
- The Spread of Islam and the Divine Warning to the Prophet
- Are there hadiths about loving Ahl al-Bayt?
- How was the Gospel revealed/sent down to Hz. Isa (Jesus)?
- Who are the paternal uncles and other elderly relatives of the Prophet? How many paternal uncles did the Prophet have? What are their names?
- Is our Prophet (pbuh) any different from other prophets?
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?
- Why was Jesus (pbuh) raised to the sky although some prophets were allowed to be killed why conveying the religion to people? Furthermore, one tooth of our Prophet was broken during a battle. From which property of Jesus does this incident originate?
- What are the Stages of Life in the Hereafter?