Can you explain the sentence “Allah (May His Glory be exalted) cannot be known by theoretical reason but by deeds”?
Submitted by on Wed, 26/01/2011 - 12:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
We do not know where and how this sentence was uttered but it is possible to understand it as follows:
The Most Sacred Essence of Allah cannot be known and thinking about it is forbidden. Then, what is meant by “Allah” here is knowing His names and attributes and the knowledge of Allah is considered within that frame. Comprehending Allah’s names and attributes can be by narrations (from revelations), not by reason. The greatest evidence that theoretical/ philosophical reason will not be able to reach that knowledge is the mistakes that even the greatest philosophers who are interested in that subject have made in their thoughts. Then, the heart has the greatest function in getting the knowledge of Allah. As a matter of fact, belief is an essence of fact sown into the heart. The heart should get rid of every kind of dirt, rust and filth of doubts in order to reflect the fact – convenient to the narrations- in that subject. That is possible only through sincere deeds.
Then, knowing Allah truly is not possible by theoretical reason only occupied with science- philosophy. On the contrary, that knowledge is a window that only can be achieved by the possessor of a heart that is attached to Allah’s book and His messenger’s way, that submits to his Lord and is polished by deeds.
Questions on Islam
- Al-Asma Al-Husna (The most Beautiful Names)
- Will you give information about Allah's names?
- Could you please give me information about the Oneness of Allah? What does Burhan al-Tamanu (Reductio ad Impossible) mean?
- Third Principle: The wisdom and purpose of the Ascension.
- Second Aim: The duties of atoms and molecules in forming various matters.
- How should the attitude of the believers be against the oppression in the world?
- Sealing of Hearts and Qadar (Destiny)
- First Topic: Divine Determining, the power of choice (partial free will); the creation of good and evil; the responsibility of man.
- The slander that Allah does not know the deeds that man will do..
- Isra and the Miracle of Miraj (Ascension)