Can a woman take care of her parents without her husband’s permission? Does a woman have to take care of her husband’s parents?
Submitted by on Mon, 08/11/2010 - 13:20
Dear Brother / Sister,
In a family, matters like love, respect and service are mutual. In the duties of the couple for each other, both of them should be willing to take the first step. One that seeks self-sacrifice from his/her spouse should show sacrifice first and s/he who wants his/her spouse to take care of his/her parents should take care of their spouse’s parents first. Therefore, there will be peace in the family and the conflict of you-me will be resolved.
If parents are in need, their children must take care of them. A woman has some duties toward both her husband and children and her parents in the first place and her relatives. She should not neglect anyone while fulfilling her duty for another. However, she should let her husband know while she fulfils these duties.
It is best for a woman whose parents should be taken care of to do this duty by asking for permission from her husband. However, if her parents are ill and if there is no one to take care of them, then she can visit to take care of them without her husband’s permission. Even if her parents are not Muslims and they live in an Islamic country, it is the same for them. ( Bazzaziyya, Fatawa al-Hindiyya, Beirut, 1400 V: 1, p : 341)
A woman does not have to take care of her husband’s parents according to Islamic jurispuridence. She does not have such responsiblity. However, on condition that there is no one else to take care of them and if they need their care, it is both a religious and a humanistic duty for a woman to share the responsibilty of her husband to take take care of them .
However, the peace and bliss of the married couple, who share the same life, is not provided by formal law but social etiquette, principles of good manners, criteria of piety and duties for humanity. In Islam, it is important that a woman attain her husband’s approval. The easiest way to do this is treating the parents well and gain their contentment.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for a woman to work? Is her husband’s permission necessary for it?
- Married women responsibility toward her parents.
- How to select a soul-mate for marriage?
- What are the responsibilities the woman in the family and her duties toward her husband?
- Does the duty of taking care old parents belong to son and his wife?
- What are the responsibilities of a woman within the family and her duties toward her husband?
- Is it a sin for the wife and husband to avoid having intercourse with each other? Can a man or woman reject the sexual desire of their spouses when they are sick?
- Is it permissible to marry a girl who is older than you?
- what are wifes duties towards husband and vice versa?
- Could you please give information about "Nafaqa" (Sustenance: Maintenance: Alimony)?