Can children be forced to memorize the Qur'an?
Submitted by on Wed, 23/09/2009 - 08:05
Dear Brother / Sister,
Those who have memorized the whole Quran are called “Hafiz”. The expressions “Hafiz-i-Quran and “Hafiz-i Qalam” are used for them. Those who have memorized the whole Quran are called “whole hafiz” and those who have memorized half of it are named as “semi-hafiz”.
When our Prophet was alive, the verses of Quran and hadiths were written down and memorized. One of the reasons that speeded up the compilation of the Quran was that many of Hafizes were martyred in Jihad arenas.
In a hadith, the characteristics of hafizes are described and memorizing Quran is encouraged. According to a hadith reported by Hazrat Aisha (Radhiyallahu-Anha) “A Hafiz person, who reads or recites Qur’an form his/her memory, will be together with the Safaratul Kiram (the noble emissaries/angels).(Bukhari, Kitabut Tafsir,458)
According to this, Being Hafiz is not fard though it has a great reward. The person who does not become Hafiz is not considered a sinner. However, performing the wish of your parents has a great reward in terms of both becoming a Hafiz and persuading them. But disobeying the wish of them is not a sin either.
Questions on Islam
- All of the evidences that prove the Qur’an is the word of Allah also prove the existence of angels.
- Can a book of 600 hundred pages be memorized?
- Is a person who can read the Qoran regarded to have done a khatm (complete recitation of the Qoran) by observing and following someone recite it, or a person who cannot read the Qoran by listening to someone recite it? Is a person regarded to have done a
- How was the order of the chapters in the Quran arranged? Did the Prophet himself make this arrangement?
- How was the Quran reproduced and how did the Prophet send envoys to other countries?
- Is it possible to do a khatm al-Quran by following or listening to it from a device like a TV set, telephone or computer?
- What are our duties toward the Quran?
- Why did Allah not make a promise about guarding the hadiths, which are the secondary basic resource of Islam, as He made a promise about guarding the Quran?
- There are some people who want to leave the Sunnah and act only in accordance with the Qur’an. What is your opinion about that issue?
- Will you give detailed information about the Quran’s being written, compiled and arranged as a book?