Can children be forced to memorize the Qur'an?
Submitted by on Wed, 23/09/2009 - 08:05
Dear Brother / Sister,
Those who have memorized the whole Quran are called “Hafiz”. The expressions “Hafiz-i-Quran and “Hafiz-i Qalam” are used for them. Those who have memorized the whole Quran are called “whole hafiz” and those who have memorized half of it are named as “semi-hafiz”.
When our Prophet was alive, the verses of Quran and hadiths were written down and memorized. One of the reasons that speeded up the compilation of the Quran was that many of Hafizes were martyred in Jihad arenas.
In a hadith, the characteristics of hafizes are described and memorizing Quran is encouraged. According to a hadith reported by Hazrat Aisha (Radhiyallahu-Anha) “A Hafiz person, who reads or recites Qur’an form his/her memory, will be together with the Safaratul Kiram (the noble emissaries/angels).(Bukhari, Kitabut Tafsir,458)
According to this, Being Hafiz is not fard though it has a great reward. The person who does not become Hafiz is not considered a sinner. However, performing the wish of your parents has a great reward in terms of both becoming a Hafiz and persuading them. But disobeying the wish of them is not a sin either.
Questions on Islam
- The Fallacy of Reincarnation Part 3: What are the views of the Islamic scholars on reincarnation?
- What are our duties toward the Quran?
- Will you please explain the verses that order us to obey the messenger of Allah?
- There are some people who want to leave the Sunnah and act only in accordance with the Qur’an. What is your opinion about that issue?
- Is it possible to do a khatm al-Quran by following or listening to it from a device like a TV set, telephone or computer?
- Was there a verse of stoning in the Quran? Whom did the Prophet Muhammad have stoned?
- Considering that hadiths reached us through many narrators, why should we trust hadiths and why should we not deny hadiths?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Do Hafiz people who have memorized the Quran have right of intercession (shafaah)?
- How was the Quran reproduced and how did the Prophet send envoys to other countries?