Are there any verses of the Quran and hadiths about the chastity of Hz. Maryam (Mary)?
Submitted by on Fri, 07/01/2022 - 09:10
Dear Brother / Sister,
The concept of chastity in terms of the time period when Hz. Maryam (Mary) lived did not suit any woman so much as it did Hz. Maryam. This concept of chastity looks as if it is her a title, is identical with her and is an indispensable characteristic of her. It is as if the name “Maryam” is meaningless and incomplete without that concept. She is our chaste mother, Virgin Mary. In fact, she is also the mother of all Abrahamic religions.
Chastity (iffah) lexically means staying away from harams, avoiding words and deeds are not halal and good, honor, cleanliness, preventing one’s soul from animal tendencies, consenting to halals and avoiding harams.
The most important witnesses to the chastity of our mother Mary are the Quran and hadiths, and her exemplary spiritual life of 50-60 years, in which she lived in chastity.
Allah states the following for our mother Mary in verse 91 of the chapter of al-Anbiya: allati ahsanat farjaha, that is, she who guarded her chastity.
In the verses of the chapter of Maryam, Maryam says to Jibril (Gabriel), who appeared in human form, “I seek refuge from thee to (Allah) Most Gracious: (Come not near) if thou dost fear Allah.” When Jibril says, “Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, (to announce) to thee the gift of a holy son”, Mother Mary says, “How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?” (Maryam, 19/16-33)
The following is stated in verse 59 of the chapter of Aal-i Imran: “The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: “Be”. And he was.” Thus, it is stated that our father Adam was created without a father and a mother and that Hz. Isa (Jesus) was created without a father.
The Prophet (pbuh) said, “The best of women of Paradise are Khuwaylid’s daughter Khadija, Muhammad’s daughter Fatima, Imran’s daughter, Maryam, and Muzahim’s daughter (Pharaoh’s wife) Asiya.” Thus, he stated that Hz. Maryam was one of the four most virtuous women in the past and in the future. (see Haythami, Zawaid, 9/223; Tirmidhi, Manaqib, 61; Ahmad b. Hanbal, 1/293, 316, 322)
Thus, both Allah and His Messenger Muhammad (pbuh) state that Hz. Maryam was chaste and honorable.
Questions on Islam
- Hz. Isa spoke when he was in the cradle. Did he continue speaking after that incident or did he return to normal?
- Will you give information about Hz. Maryam's birth? They say Maryam has an interesting creation like the miraculous creation of Hz. Isa, her son. Where was Hz. Maryam born? How long did she live?
- Is it true that Hz. Maryam (Mary) did not menstruate and that she had a fiancé?
- There are verses in our Book, the Quran, stating that Hz. Maryam is the sister of Hz. Harun. However, there are centuries between Hz. Isa, son of Mary, and the prophet Harun. Is it a name resemblance?
- Prophet Zakariyya [Zacharias] & Yahya [John] (Peace be upon them)
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- Hz. Maryam's father is mentioned as Imran in the Quran. Westerners call him Joachim. Is there a relationship between those two names?
- Will you explain the verses that mention the family of Imran? Is there a controversy whether the Mary mentioned in the verses (3/31-38) is Mary, the sister of Moses, or Mary, the mother of Christ?
- Why did Hz. Jibril (Gabriel) appear as a man before Hz. Maryam (Mary)?
- The most virtuous four women are mentioned; who are the most virtuous women?