Are there any religious and medical objections for urinating while standing up?
Submitted by on Mon, 23/08/2010 - 11:35
Dear Brother / Sister,
One should not urinate while standing up. It is against the toilet etiquette. Being soiled with urine as a result of urinating while standing up would not be right. As it is understood from the narrations that such a way of urinating would cause the torture of the grave. Urinating while standing up is also medically harmful. When someone urinates while standing up, the urine remains in the urinary bladder. This causes illnesses too.
The advantages of urinating while squatting are as follows:
While squatting, abdominal muscles become strained, knees press the abdomen; hence, the bladder becomes under pressure. As the bladder is fully emptied at the end of urinating, no urine remains in the bladder. The bladder is fully emptied. It both prevents the occurrence of urethral and bladder stones, and becomes effective in decreasing the complaints of prostate patients. Slightly leaning over to the left side is advised when urinating as squatting. This way of urinating, which is the most suitable position for the urethra’s anatomy (structure), enables the urethral tract and bladder to be fully emptied.
Op. Dr. Ali Hatay, Urology Specialist
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to have a test tube baby? What are the conditions of having a test tube baby? Are the methods of determining the gender of the baby permissible?
- Could you please list the rights of parents over their children?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- What are the effects of ethics on society?
- Will you explain the universality of the Quran by giving examples?
- What are the necessary conditions for the validity of wiping over (Leather- Made) Socks (Khuffs)?
- When I look at myself and at the world, I see that we are in constant pain and sorrow. Does Allah become happy by causing us to feel pain?
- Is there a contradiction between the religion and the mind?
- Is it a sin to kill the insects, mosquitoes, ants and other animal in our houses?
- How does our religion warn those who speak loudly, by shouting in a way that is inappropriate for communication ethics? What kind of an attitude should we adopt towards this kind of people?